The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM

bigtone1411 will become famous soon enough
Default Rio Versi Tip on sale!

I was just looking at Cabelas on line and saw that the Rio Versi Tip is on sale for almost half price! I have had one of these lines on a 6 wt for several years. It is a rod and reel I keep for traveling but I don't know what kind of fishing I will end up doing. I dont have to pack much, like spools and other lines. It comes with 4 tips. Floating, intermediate clear, type 3 and type 6 sinking. You got all your depths covered.

I finally just bought an 8 wt version last month at full price. Oh well, it appears they dont have the 8wt. in stock for the sale.

What do you guys think of this line. I kinda like it. I think it is versatile. I wouldn't want to use it for spring creek dry fly fishing, but I think it makes a great nymphing and streamer line. For half price you cant go wrong. I'm thinking about ordering a 5wt version, but I don't really need that (or afford it) right now. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I think they are only on sale because Rio is changing all their packaging. Hopefully they are not discontinuing it

Tony
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Versi Tip on sale!

When I worked in the biz, I sold a handful of multi-tip lines. The most popular size was the eight weight. All of my customers bought them because the lodges in Alaska were recommending that they make that purchase.

Recently sinking leaders have become more popular. Since most quality floating fly lines now have welded loops, it is an easy change out. Plus one can still have his own fly floating fly line choice. Anyone can make a choice of what kind of length and sink rate, so one can have plenty of combinations to adjust for different situations. Plus if one loses or breaks a sinking leader, it is easily replaceable.

Rio is still making its VersiTip line.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-17-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: word order edit
Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

woulda been handy a month or so ago when I got mine haha.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I saw this right after you posted; but, as you said no 8 weight. As a side question, how does the tip section attach to the back section of the line? It looks like some type of metal screw on adapter, and if so, isn't that hard on the guides?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
As a side question, how does the tip section attach to the back section of the line?
It is a loop to loop connection with welded loops.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Thank you.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Could Cabelas have sold out of it already? Went searching all the Rios are on sale / no versi to be found except at regular price. ????
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-04-2012, 08:09 AM

Some items move really fast at Cabela's when they have a sale. My rule is: if it's available on sale and it's something I want, buy it, since it won't be available later.