The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Distance line

Help me understand this shooting head thing a bit....I have thought about the concept but don't really have a grasp on it.

The way I see it, is you have a thin running line attached to a weighted head. You use that weighted head to create the energy and the thin line allows that head to shoot farther?

If this is correct, is there any reason why I can simply cut the running line off of a standard floating line, leaving just the head, and attach that to the gelspun or dacron backing?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way that they did it in the "old days"
Only one problem though, full lines cost more than shooting heads
Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's the way that they did it in the "old days"
Only one problem though, full lines cost more than shooting heads
True, but I have some line laying around that doesn't get used anymore so my net out of pocket this way is zero.

I guess as long as I understand the concept then I am a happy camper.

I suppose my next question would be regarding casting. If you go straight from weighted head to thin running line, wouldn't it create a sharp hinge in the line and hinder your loop?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:35 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

A properly designed fly line has more tapers than you would think. For example, a WF line might start with a short level section, then the front taper, then the belly, then the start of the back taper, then the "holding line", then the continuation of the back taper, and finally the running line.

The holding line or holding taper is a section that prevents the hinging you were speaking of. This also acts like "the tail of a kite", according to Marvin Hedge. It is not as thick as the belly, but thick enough to provide a smooth transition to the running line. It allows all the weight of the belly to be in the air, ready to pull the running line.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I suppose my next question would be regarding casting. If you go straight from weighted head to thin running line, wouldn't it create a sharp hinge in the line and hinder your loop?
What you'll find is that there is a 'sweet spot' of overhang that will fit your casting and rod nicely and allow you to shoot the running line with very few false casts and hauls.
That overhang can be anywhere to where the head/running line connection is inside the rod tip to several feet outside of the rod tip.
On the optimum overhang for you and your rig, trial and error is the only sure-fire way I know of to find it.
brookfieldangler likes this.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM

addni is on a distinguished road

I've had great experience with RIO Outbound and I'm sure it would fit great for freshwater fishing for that TFO.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I don't have the SA Distance Taper, but I have the old SA XXD line which is very similiar to the Distance Taper.

I had trouble with the line. When I switched from the old Rio Long Cast (if that's what it was called) I began to get a lot of tailing loops. To me, the line felt heavy. It was great for loading the rod quickly and casting into a breeze, but the Rio felt lighter. Therefore, I was able to carry more overhang.

But that's just my experience.

With my shooting head lines, if I have too much overhang I get a hinge when I shoot line on the back cast.

Randy
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM

so mostly when going with the shooting head, you pretty much just get it out past the tip an bit and shoot the rest.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2 View Post
Hello all,
Could I get some expret advice for a floating line or maybe a shooting head system for great distance? Must be floating!
Rod is a TFO BVK #8

Thank you.
Since no one asked the question, I'm going to ask it.

What kind of flies do you intend on throwing?

The right choice of fly line for you will depend on what is being thrown. Will you use sparse flies like a Crazy Charlie? Will you be using bulky flies like Umpqua Swimming Frogs? Longer and slender heads are wonderful for casting sparse flies. Shorter and heavier heads are better for bulky flies.

You need to keep in mind that a rod and line make up a delivery system. If one piece of the system is off, your fishing day will be off.

Dennis
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

If you're double hauling you have to have enough overhang outside the rod tip so that on your downward haul the line connector - where the running and head are joined - doesn't hit the rod tip. This is why most anglers prefer a 30' head, but then you'll probably have to overline your rod one or two weights.

Randy