Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jimw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:02 AM

domel has a spectacular aura aboutdomel has a spectacular aura about
Default Sage Xi3 - line for pike

Hello
I got Sage Xi3 #9 9' for pike flyfishing. Now I need floating line. I think about:
RIO MAINSTREAMBASS, PIKE FLOATING FLY LINE
or
Rio Pike line.
The first one is much cheaper but I wonder if it will cast heavier flies without problems. On the other site Rio Pike line is more expensive, but I know that this line os OK. What would you recommend?

One more question: shall I overweight Sage Xi3 #9 with #10 pike line? As I know pike lines are heavier than standard lines so maybe I should not buy #10 line for #9 Xi3?
BR
Tom
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Xi3 - line for pike

If you plan on throwing flies that are very large and wind resistant, you should be using a WF9F (375 grain) Rio Outbound. This line has become the standard for throwing large flies.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Hi
Thanks for answer. I do not want to throw very big flies. Just bigger. I do not want to spend much money, so I wonder if Rio Mainstream is OK.
Shall I purchase #9 or #10 for Xi3 #9?
BR
Tom
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

It is really tough to recommend a fly line. I will give you a few things to consider. I over line my XI3 when i am boat fishing and long distance is not a factor. When you over line it is easy to load the rod with just 1 false cast. When i am fishing from the beach i dont like to over line because i carry alot more line in the air. I am trying for distance and accuracy is not very critical. I will tell you that the XI3 is a very versatile rod and will handle alot of situations. I would suggest trying if at all possible. I dont think any 2 fly fishers have the same stroke so what i love you may hate. I am in a fly fishing club and it is easy to try out a friends line just to see if it works for you before dropping $70 plus for something you dont like. Good luck and i hope you find what you need.
domel likes this.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
It is really tough to recommend a fly line. I will give you a few things to consider. I over line my XI3 when i am boat fishing and long distance is not a factor. When you over line it is easy to load the rod with just 1 false cast. When i am fishing from the beach i dont like to over line because i carry alot more line in the air. I am trying for distance and accuracy is not very critical. I will tell you that the XI3 is a very versatile rod and will handle alot of situations. I would suggest trying if at all possible. I dont think any 2 fly fishers have the same stroke so what i love you may hate. I am in a fly fishing club and it is easy to try out a friends line just to see if it works for you before dropping $70 plus for something you dont like. Good luck and i hope you find what you need.
Hi
Thanks for answer. Very valuable one :-) I know that it would be better to try line before spending money, but I have no chance for it. I think I will take #9 line and probably Rio Mainstream. Pike line and Freshwater OutBound Short are too expensive for me to buy to try them.
BR
tom
p.s. Do you know anything about: Cortland Precision Pike (or Bass) Floating Lines?