The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM

flyguy22 is on a distinguished road
Default what line for a GLX Whispercreek 3wt

Hello fellow anglers - here's my first post....

I've been using a redington crosswater the last few years (and the occasional sessions with my dad's sage old IM6 when he's feeling generous...) and have gotten used to the red's style of action, though I haven't really cemented myself in this setup since I have sort of 'outgrown' this rod in my casting ability and am now starting to develop a 'taste' in preferred style and starting to notice and appreciate all the subtle nuances like the flex, action, rod length, etc. With that said, I have favored into being more of a dry fly guy and really enjoy fishing smaller trout streams and fish a lot of light tippets and small flies..... I just scored a deal on a nice GLX whispercreek 3wt, 8'8''. (thoughts here...? I thought about a winston possibly too...) and I will be using a loomis 345 syncrotech reel with it and am not sure which line I should buy for it... any thoughts, experience with GLX's, or general advice on which way to go line wise....? Now that I have an idea of the style I want to lean towards, I am wanting to go for gear that lends itself to that method.... since I am in college and on the budget, buying and experimenting with other gear is not so much an option, it's more a one shot kinda thing unfortunately so I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinions...All advice is appreciated... Cheers!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of
Default Re: what line for a GLX Whispercreek 3wt

I have gone exclusively to SA Mastery Textured Trout Stalker for all my rigs I dry fly fish primarily with. I put it on 3 reels this summer, all of my 3wts (Elkhorn Traveler,TXL and ZXL) allso my TXL 4wt is strung up with it. It turns over beautifully even when it is frigid cold outside. I fished it this year when there was still ice on the water in it turns over so sweetly.When fishing dries the textured feature really creates less surface tension between the line and water. That means you will dunk your dry fly underwater at least 50% less when recasting.

I love it so much the local SA rep had a trade in a old line receive a discount promo going so I even bought spare 3 and 4wt spools for future use, or to give my friends.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:38 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

thats a nice rig you have there fg,
i use like airflo tactcal or allen lines n my 3 weights

casey

ARFE
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 PM

nicknick222 has a spectacular aura aboutnicknick222 has a spectacular aura about

As far as floating all purpose lines go, I think its hard to beat Rio Gold. I have in on all my trout rods with exception of my 3 wt. which has a mastery series trout double taper, simply because I rarely cast distance with it and get the added economy of two lines if it wears out. If you arent planning on doing much past 40 feet with your rod you might consider a DT also, otherwise, Rio Gold or any of the other high end SA lines will do great.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

I would line that rod with the Rio LT wf3w line. The line really turns over long leaders and fine tippets nicely. I fish the Rio gold on my 5wt for general use and it is perfect for that setup but on my small stream rods the LT is hands down my best line for that application.