Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MoscaPescador
  • 1 Post By wt bash
  • 2 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By caseywise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default 6'6" 3 weight rod with vintage reel: Is a 2 wt. line better?

I have a 6'6" 3 wt. I have never fished such a lite short rod before. Just wondering if a 2 wt. line is better for such a short 3 wt. Or maybe I'm way off. Is a 3wt line more appropriate for a longer rod in that weight? Or should I just stay with what they recommend? The rod seems like a fast action, fairly stiff, but its very light at 2.29 oz. Any good lite lines that you can recommend?

Found a 1962 Bronson Royal aluminum reel at the local Pickers shop. Weighs 4 oz and balances nicely at half way on handle. Love the machining on this old reel. I think it has a bakelite handle. Very hard ivory like plastic. Took it apart, nice simple all brass mechanism. Nice soft click drag with on off button. Cleaned it up and works great, a little beat up but nicely American made. He was asking 10 I got it for $5.00 Should be good.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks
Phil

Last edited by noreaster; 11-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6'6" 3 weight rod with vintage reel: Is a 2 wt. line better?

How do you want the rod to flex under load?

If you prefer the rod to load more the tip, use a 2 weight line.

If you prefer the rod to load more down towards the midsection, use a three weight line.

If you prefer the rod to load more down towards the grip, you may want to use a four weight line.

As for lines, just get a high quality line from one of the major vendors.

Dennis
noreaster likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:04 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I would fish a 3wt for using the rod in close and making short casts. If you wanted to reach out past 20' try out a 2wt. I'm a fan of Cortlad's 444 DT lines but I would try out a Wulff Longbelly taper too.
noreaster likes this.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Bronson reels are fairly low end, but I'm sure it's worth the 5 beans as long as the spindle is straight and there's no wobble in the spool.
The frame looks a little bent in the picture, a problem with cheaper reels, but the good thing is that they bend back too.

I don't know anything about that particular rod, but personally I use my 6'6" rods in tight spaces and as such want my short rods to load with a bare minimum of line out, and that means over lining rather than under lining.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:57 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 (or is it 3) for not underlining it. Light rod, small stream often means short casts where you want the rod to load without much line out. Personally when I took it on the water for the first time I'd string up a 3wt line and bring a reel with 4wt line on it to try. I've been surprised how much I like one line weight up when fishing small streams.
caseywise and noreaster like this.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Bronson reels are fairly low end, but I'm sure it's worth the 5 beans as long as the spindle is straight and there's no wobble in the spool.
The frame looks a little bent in the picture, a problem with cheaper reels, but the good thing is that they bend back too.

I don't know anything about that particular rod, but personally I use my 6'6" rods in tight spaces and as such want my short rods to load with a bare minimum of line out, and that means over lining rather than under lining.
Thanks for the advice.

I kinda knew the reel wasn't high end. It is simple, but solid which is good enough for small streams and such.

I think the fact that it is more than 50 years old and in good working order, and looks cool, too is more valuable than the reel itself. The spool and spindle look perfect. Little bend in frame I think I can straighten fairly easily.

wt bash I am thinking a 3 wt. would be the way to go.

MoscaPescador I'm thinking of having it bend mid way and go with the 3 weight.

thanks guys.
phil
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

have you ever considered a double taper line? a dt3 should be fine.
from what i gather, that would probably work well on that rig

casey
noreaster likes this.

ARFE