The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 1 Post By wgdade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orvis Clearwater Line

Has anyone has used the current Orvis Clearwater fly line? They bill it as 1/2 weight heavier and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with it. I have a rod I'm going to give my wife and am looking for a line for it.

It's a 8'6" Ye Olde English Fly Shoppe blank that was marked as a 4/5 wt, but when I did the common cents test and it rated at 3.86. I just cast it for the first time and found a 4wt line worked just fine. When I put a 5wt line on I could really feel it load and ended up thinking that might make it easier for her to learn to cast, even if I might prefer it as a 4. Seeing the Clearwater heavy by 1/2 I wondered if the 4 (1/2) might be the way to go since I'm not sure if the 5 (1/2) would overline it too much. I might just end up ordering it and seeing how I like it but thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had wisdom on the line (or experience with the blank) before I spent the money.

Oh, here's a pic of the rod. Blue is her favorite color and she's a Duke grad so blue and white wraps were a no brainer.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Orvis Clearwater Line

Its a very nice line, most of the Orvis offerings are. 1/2 size up seems about right
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks db, I think I'll go with the 4wt line.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM

wgdade is on a distinguished road

I use 4wt and 8wt Clearwater line. I love it.
williamhj likes this.