The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 PM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default Line: where and what to buy?

Gander mountain is the only place nearby that has any sort of fly gear and they don't have much of a selection. The only thing they had in the WF4wt Floating is the Scientific Anglers pro series $39. Is this any good?

My second question is, where is a good place to order online that doesn't rip you off on shipping. I can't stand the places that charge by the $$ for something that is small and weighs almost nothing. I was told to buy Rio line, so if you know of some place I can get a good deal on it let me know.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:30 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Line: where and what to buy?

Im not a fan of that particular S.A line but thats only opinion. Some here may like it.
The best line on the market right now based on my experiences is the Cortland Trout Boss. Its a newer line, but it has no equal if money is not an object. If money is an object, the best line under $60 is probaly the Cortland 444. Most premium lines these days are closer to $75 or 80 unfortunitly
brucerducer likes this.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

For a cheaper line I like Scientific Anglers Supra line or RIO Mainstream Trout is pretty good for the money. You can usually get them for around 50 bucks or so.

But as said above the better lines are usually going to cost you a bit more. Also I personally like RIO Gold in the 5 weight.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
Im not a fan of that particular S.A line but thats only opinion. Some here may like it.
The best line on the market right now based on my experiences is the Cortland Trout Boss. Its a newer line, but it has no equal if money is not an object. If money is an object, the best line under $60 is probaly the Cortland 444. Most premium lines these days are closer to $75 or 80 unfortunitly
Amazon has trout boss in 4wt for under 40 bucks.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:24 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to cost no less than $2.80, I believe to mail a line. Unless you can drive under 15 miles, you are going to pay more in gas. I'd say bite the bullet and pay the shipping. On that note, I am not a real fan of the Rio Gold. I have heard to many line gone bad stories. I like Airflo, Rio (but not the gold), SA. If you are a good enough caster to understand tapers, and how they apply to you it helps. What are you casting and how far?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It's going to cost no less than $2.80, I believe to mail a line. Unless you can drive under 15 miles, you are going to pay more in gas. I'd say bite the bullet and pay the shipping. On that note, I am not a real fan of the Rio Gold. I have heard to many line gone bad stories. I like Airflo, Rio (but not the gold), SA. If you are a good enough caster to understand tapers, and how they apply to you it helps. What are you casting and how far?
Hmm I have not had any issues with it, though it has been a few years since I used it last.

That Cortland looks to be nice stuff, which is why I was looking at amazon on it haha

I have never tried the airflo lines though.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

http://reviews.llbean.com/1138/1112/...s/category.htm

LL bean has free shipping in North America, great for me in the north east of Canada.
I picked up the GPX master series Scientific angler line
Iron clad warranty
They have other lines to choose from
Their regular price is a little high but if you bundle some stuff the free shipping brings you out ahead I think
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Where can you get it shipped for that? I was shopping for a baitcast reel for bass fishing and both Cabelas and BPS charge by the dollar amount. Based on that it was going to cost me $20 to ship something that weighed 8 onces and was in a very small box. I found a place in Michigan that only sold items that fit in pre-paid $4 boxes. I was hoping to find a place like that for fly line...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

There is no free lunch..You want a good price, good inventory, fair shipping. The retailer has to make something on the transaction. I try to buy locally, but it seems that no one ever has the line I need. Feather Craft always does.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use a lot of the factory second lines sold here.
Home
The last time that I bought some they didn't charge me for shipping, but I'm not sure if that's regular policy or just common sense.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It is a good point that driving to buy a line might cost more than shipping despite the fun you might have in a fly shop! Now if one is traveling to a river to go fishing and there is a local shop in its vicinity...there is a good excuse. In this same forum we had a chap from, I think, the UK visiting NY City and he couldn't find a line to buy and had to mail order one. And then there are the plethora of questions; taper, weight deviation, texture or not, stiffness or suppleness and different brands and price points. Simple lines will suffice for many applications while specialty tapers are great for those with more complex presentation aspirations...I am curious, Diver Dan, what it is you don't like about RIO's Gold; I have several of them (#4, 5 and 6) in service and have nothing but positive experience with them.