The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chased

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Braided line maybe?

I don't use actually tippets/leaders. I mainly use flurocarbon 4lb or 8lb and I never have a problem. I'am wondering is it possible to use 10lb braided line? I have a 5wt and I think the braided line would be too heavy to throw. Anyone ever try it?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Braided line maybe?

I don't see a reason why you couldn't use a straight braided leader, other than it might spook fish. I would look into tapered thread furled leaders with tippet rings. From the ring you tie on a length of mono or fluorocarbon to the fly. The furled leaders last for ever, you just need to tie on a new tippet every now and then. In the long run, you're saving money, and they turn over flies much more efficiently.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Braided line maybe?

The leaders chased is talking about are awsome. I had Joni make me some and they are great. They turn over at distance better than mono leaders. However, that just braided line idea of yours, not so good. Jonis leaders are furled and tapered. They are designed to be fly cast. The whole idea of a tapered leader is for the turn over. A straight piece of line (level leader) is not going to be as good. Unless you are tossing big flies on big line with big rods I'd say don't do it.