Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM

alex2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Bass Bug Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I just replaced a Wulff Bass taper with an Orvis Hydros. No comparison really. I should have stuck with the Wulff. I'll probably replace the Orvis because there's no reason to accept compromise with all of the lines and tapers out there.
I guess I can't offer a suggestion because I haven't tried them all. I did tell you what didn't work for me though!

Have you not had that bonefish line act a little squirrelly in cold water? Many times a warm water line in cold water will have a tendancy to coil up when chilled.
I have heard good coments about the Wulff Bass taper, my be worth trying this one out?

The bonefish line does coil up when it's cool, but becomes great as the day warms up (eastern Australia). I'm just trying to set up a dedicated surface bass outfit.

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Rio Outbound Short.
Would this line be siutable for short and long casts?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Yes, the Rio Outbound Short is good for both long and short casts, but it excels at picking up big bass flies and with just one false cast putting it back out. It has a short head that loads the rod with a short heavy head. So you just pick it up off the water, then put it back out.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM

Thanks for you help everyone,

I have ordered the Rio Tropical Outbound Short in the same weight of the rod.

I'll inform you how it performs.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Well....

I loaded up the reel with my new tropical outbound short, 40-30-20lb leader at around 8' long. Tied on a 1/0 deer hair "thing" and off I went.

It feels very different having all the weight up front and the rod loading up with only several feet of line out. I think I need more time with this.

On the other hand, one back cast at several feet, double haul on the delivery cast and I'm down to the backing

Looks like I've become acustomed to the bonefish taper and need to adjust my casting style to suit the short heavy head? Any tips?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

them short heads are often known for the "chuck n duck"... your best bet is to have your rod slightly tilted away from your body when you cast... instead of 90* your vertical.. it will eliminate the possibility of hitting your rod tip and seeing it shatter before your eyes... or getting a hook in the back of your head...

Otherwise I don't see a problem with a double haul that leads you to your backing
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Great question!

It depends on the type of Bass Bugs...

For Deer Hair Diving Bass bugs, I would suggest a line that has an intermediate tip instead of a full float. In all honesty, for all my surface flies in the sizes you are talking about, I use a intermediate sinking tip line. You can run much shorter leads that way so you get much better turn over AND they fish the flies much better as well...

You don't want the Rio Tropical Short, reason being, the weight of them is ALL over the place, hence why most shops will not suggest the Tropical Outbound line... If you want an Outbound Short, do not go with the Tropical version, the regular one works fine even in the heat and is much more accurate regarding line weight, some of the Tropical lines I have weighed were as much as 3-4 line weights off. That may be why you are having issues casting it... I know guys who LOVE the Outbound Short, it's too clunky for me, if I was to choose a full floating big bug line, it would be the SA Textured Titan Taper. Obviously there is going to be personal preference there and what works for me, may not work for you. The one common thing I hear is what I stated about the Tropical line though, way too unpredictable as far as the actual grain weight of the line goes...

I prefer the SA Saltwater Texture Clear Sink Tip line for the exact application you asked about. Many of my buddies also love the Rio Outbound Short Float/Intermediate. If I were you, I would go with one of those two lines...

I know you already ordered the Tropical version in full float, someday if you get a chance, try the intermediate sink tip, much better "in my opinion" for those big floating Bass flies...

Also on a side note, most guys I know when using the Outbound lines, prefer to underline their rod by one weight.

Last edited by kwb; 12-28-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

I just cast the 8wt outbound short, the other day and loved it. However, I love the rio pike taper, also. Titan taper is great also, I had it on my 10wt. Another one that is over-looked is the magnum taper. I loved that as much as the titan taper. I had it on my 7 weight. They are all great lines. You can't really go wrong with any of them. If one back cast, will get me back in the strike zone when I'm covering water on a boat, then I say that line is fantastic choice!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Get a cheap regular weight forward and cut 6 inches off the tip
Then beat the **** out of it.
I got a cheepy $15 "trout line" from the UK. It feels rough at the tip when double hauling but casts and floats well.

I rigged the line as is and can cast the deer hair bass buggs OK. Great with the gurglers.
I will trim off some of the fine tip and see what it brings.

The tropical outbound will go on a redington predator 7'10" as it feels way too heavy for my 9' 8wt I have.

Thanks again for all the wisdom as I'm fairly new to the fly.
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2 View Post
I got a cheepy $15 "trout line" from the UK. It feels rough at the tip when double hauling but casts and floats well.

I rigged the line as is and can cast the deer hair bass buggs OK. Great with the gurglers.
I will trim off some of the fine tip and see what it brings.
Trim the level tip back, it will make a huge difference.