The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Rio Mainsteam line ?

I probably should have asked this BEFORE I chose the line,,but,,it was free with a reel purchase..and was really free. I couldn't find the reel cheaper any-wheres else and the line was part of the deal. It's a Rio Mainstream..and I opted for the DT-3-F to overload my 2wt CT for casting dries on small streams.

Was my choice of a DT reasonable for very short casting ? I figured I couldn't get the taper of the WF out of the rod on such short cast and a WF 'might' even be a drawback at mini-range casting.

What's your opinion ? I'm not hurt either way, but am hoping my 'thinking' was in the right direction.

Michael aka fly guy
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Rio Mainsteam line ?

Hi Michael,

I use DT lines on almost all my rigs. I have a couple WF and even an old 'Rocket Taper' from back in the day, but DT gets it done for me. Look on the bright side, when it is all stained and starts to deteriorate a bit on the front taper you can just flip it around and start over.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a try! If you really don't like it then pick up a DT 2wt line. I bet you'll like it though and the rod will load well at short distances.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Overlining in that situation is EXACTLY what i would have done. Also, i fish a DT in everything under a 5 wt. Good choice and that rio mainstream is a fine line indeed.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Yes overline, we all do it and you'll like the feel with the DT, I don't care for Rio's Mainstream lines, they make better.

Rick