The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New line for 4wt

Cabela's has a few on sale, and the Cabela's Prestige Premier Fly Line is decent for $35.
Cabela's Prestige Premier Fly Line
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasars View Post
Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Had the line in my cart getting ready to check out and they tell me that they are sold out! Only 6wt left. So I will be checking out the other suggestions.
Thanks.

poo,

I hope I didn't take the last one. I got my receipt and no notice of them being OOS.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Check out FlyTyersDungeon.. His Bull Shark lines are good.. have one in wf6f roll casts well.. shoots well.. floats well.. and at $18 it won't break the bank
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

It is actually difficult to recommend a line for a rod one is not familiar with. The line makes a very substantive difference in a rods performance and I have regularly discovered that a line who's taper design I love and is perfect on a given rod stinks on another rod of the same line rating! I am fortunate to have accumulated enough different lines over the seasons that I can mix and match in a lawn casting session, often with fishing friends for counterpoint. To the best of my knowledge, there are only three fly line manufacturers in the US; SA, RIO and Cortland and the UK maker, Airflo has (appropriately) gained in popularity in recent years. Some of hese companies do brand labeled products for other companies like Orvis or Wulff for example. I always recommend sticking with the best quality line you can obtain for your rod...a shame to buy a good rod and "save money" rigging it with a **** line that robs its potential. That does not mean that getting a discontinued model or color at a discounted price is bad and it also does not mean that a line designer/maker does not have some clunkers to go along with their great stuff. Different line companies often have a "personality" that they build into their offerings. RIO likes long rear tapers in their Gold and Bonefish lines that promote "loop stability at distance". Airflo Ridge lines have a certain "pop" to them that, with the right rod, is gratifying. SA has more diverse and specialized tapers and coatings than anyone to assist in fine tuning a given rod. And Cortland is on the upswing after a few difficult years...check out their "Boss".

In a pinch, I have called customer service at rod makers and asked their opinion on line match-ups with a specific rod model and have gotten some suggestions I would not have thought of on my own.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by itchmesir; 11-27-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: nvm
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 PM

nasars will become famous soon enough

Mudbug you could always sell me the the one that you got. I'm sure that it's the one that was taken out of my cart . I had one in my cart and was looking at some tippet and went to check out they said they were sold out! Snooze you lose I guess. Happy fishing!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM

jhardin80 is on a distinguished road

I actually just bought the Sage Performance Taper, for the price I couldn't go wrong. I guess I will just have to see how well it is. I too am getting a Redington CT, mine is 8'6" 4wt so hopefully it works well.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardin80 View Post
I actually just bought the Sage Performance Taper, for the price I couldn't go wrong. I guess I will just have to see how well it is. I too am getting a Redington CT, mine is 8'6" 4wt so hopefully it works well.
I just bought the same exact model , can't wait to fish it.

Now I need a reel and line too.

Let us know if the Sage line you are getting works with that rod.

Thanks

Last edited by floorabove; 12-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM

jonf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
I just bought the same exact model , can't wait to fish it.

Now I need a reel and line too.

Let us know if the Sage line you are getting works with that rod.

Thanks
Looks like a few of us have recently picked up 4wgt CT's. I'll be interested in hearing others feedback on lines as I am still deciding what line to try.