The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:03 PM

nasars will become famous soon enough
Default New line for 4wt

Hello everybody, I've been lurking in the background for several months now, and learning alot! This is my first post. I just purchased a new rod, it's a Redington CT 9ft 4wt. I need to get some line for it. My two choices are Sage Ultimate Performance Taper Freshwater, and Cabelas Prestige Premier. The Cabelas brand states it's made for faster action rods, the CT rod is a medium action rod. Dont know if this mades a difference or not. I'm looking at these two because they are both on sale and in my price range, plus I have a free shipping coupon from Cabelas. I believe both of these line oar wf-f. I'm very new to flyfishing, the only other rod that I have was a combo outfit that came prespooled, so I really dont know much about lines. My main fishing is in small streams. Thanks.
John
pabrown_yb245 likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New line for 4wt

Sign up for a Sierra Trading Post deal fly to get a discount coupon (35% or so) and then get a Airflo Ridge Tactical for about $20.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Been using a Cortland Sylk dt4f for a while...think it should be great with the action of a CT...just my two cents
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking from personal experience, Airflo Ridgeline Supple Tactical DT or WF, Rio Gold (WF) or Trout LT DT or WF would be my recommendations. I'm not as familiar with SA's offerings to offer a suggestion of similar tapers.

Rio Gold seems to work very well and be as close to a true line weight as I have found. I use Gold on a few rods and it has been great. I've recently been turned onto Airflo lines and so far, I am incredibly pleased.
horseman_37601 likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestion, looks like I may be going for the Airflow ridge line supple. I signed up at Sierra Trading Post web site and got a 35% coupon for cyber monday, hopefully it works (thanks mudbug).
itchmesir likes this.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Airflo for $20 like one of the above poster mentioned is a helluva deal.. they make great lines
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasars View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestion, looks like I may be going for the Airflow ridge line supple. I signed up at Sierra Trading Post web site and got a 35% coupon for cyber monday, hopefully it works (thanks mudbug).
No problem.

I'm buying one as a back up for the trout LT on my 4 wt CT.

I would prefer the olive instead of light peach, but for the price I won't complain.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And the Sage line on sale is made by RIO which, along with Redington, are all owned by the same company. The Airflo will be good but the Sage, for that rod, might be better.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
And the Sage line on sale is made by RIO which, along with Redington, are all owned by the same company. The Airflo will be good but the Sage, for that rod, might be better.
Curious about this, I have the Sage Nymph taper and can't stand it, tip does not float well at all and only fished it about 10 times.

On the other hand, have about 30 days with a Rio Gold, and love it...
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Had the line in my cart getting ready to check out and they tell me that they are sold out! Only 6wt left. So I will be checking out the other suggestions.
Thanks.