The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light
Default ? about Sage Ultra Performance Taper maybe a rep know

I just ordered and received from cabela's a 4wt and 5 wt "Sage Ultra Performance Taper" fly line which i got on sale for $29.99 each vs. $79.99 retail. However on both the Cabelas website and even the Sage Fly Line box thesed lines are in.......they tout 1) "dual color allows quick reference for easy loading"...and the pic shows the running line as yellow and front end taper color as green and 2) slim welded loops on the front and back of the line. Yet the fly line in each of these boxes is all green - no dual colors and has only 1 loop on the front end so clearly this is not the same line model as advertised either on the website or in the box - or not the one the "reviews" were written about which noted the dual colors I already emailed Cabelas but I'm wondering why sage would put a completely different line as described in the box...which seems to be a brand new box for each line.....unless they didn't ?
Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ? about Sage Ultra Performance Taper maybe a rep know

Walter: All the SAGE Ultra Performance Taper lines I have purchased in the past from various vendors have been one color (either olive in the DT or bright yellow for the WF).
Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

This seems very odd. I have a brand new Sage Ultimate Performance Taper still in the box WF5F that I bought at Cabela's. I just checked and it is indeed 2 colors like the box says it should be. Yellow running line and a green head. I bought the line from the bargain cave and am beginning to think that the dual color line was discontinued and that is why it was in there. Maybe there is an updated version of the line that is a single color? Who knows.....
Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Chased....that is the line I ordered as you described does it also have loops on both ends of the line ?? at least if I knew from Sage it was the same line these differences are not make or break I just really concern about the quakity of anything that is completely different than described or advertised
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

May I suggest calling Sage Cust. Serv. These lines are discontinued (and will not be replaced) because Sage and RIO are sister companies. But before RIO made these lines for Sage (I think but am not positive) SA did. Either way they are fine lines at a bargain price, a rare event as most bargain priced lines are what you paid for.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM

I loaded the 4 weight on my Allan Trout reel yesterday - based on my lawn casting I have no complaints despite the variance as advertised so I will keep these lines and test the line
out in the "field" tomorrow as I hit the farmington for some technical dry fly fishing.