Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM

new2flyfishen is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line Chart

I'm looking for a chart or table of all the current production fly lines that give each line's vitals, like true weight. Is there anything like that to be found around here?

I don't live near any fly shops, so I can't try out any lines with my rod to see which one(s) work best for me. I was hoping to at least get a better idea of what's out there with characteristics I'm interested in.

I'm still developing my casting style, and have recently obtained a nice Sage 590-4 SLT. I tried it in the grass with some RIO WF-5, and some no-name WF-6. It was ok with the WF-5, but I was getting much much tighter loops with the 6 wt line. I'm thinking maybe I should try some 5 wt line that runs heavy for it's rating, but do not know which lines do that. I also have never tried DT and wonder how that might work out. I intend to use this rod for some combo stream/river, dry/nymph trout fishing.

Suggestions welcome!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fly Line Chart

Hey there,

I think Diver Dan either has a / the chart (hard copy) or a link to some stats. Send him a PM and ask. To send a message go to User Control panel and look down the left sidebar, 'Send New Message' type in Diver Da and by then his name will pop up.

I believe he may have it, if not him then Rip Tide, use the same procedure.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link for the RIO lines: RIO Gold - Freshwater Fly Lines | RIO

Here's some info on the AirFlo lines: http://www.airflofishing.com/airflo-...m#!prettyPhoto

On the right side, bit more than half way down, you'll see the 'specs' (but not grain weights) of their fresh water lines.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The Scientific Anglers link with charts: Scientific Anglers Fly Fishing Lines: Freshwater, Saltwater, Spey, Shooting, Leaders, Tippet, Backing
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Cortland's site is pretty chopped up so coming up with one link is a 'no go.' (Google will give you all the pages) But here's a place to start: http://www.cortlandline.com/products/section.asp?id=247
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! You guys are great! Before I even had a chance to see this thread you had everything right there. This is why this is such a great forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
On the right side, bit more than half way down, you'll see the 'specs' (but not grain weights) of their fresh water lines.
I don't remember what line it was, but about a week or two ago one came up the manufacturer said was a full line weight different than the industry standard. I made the comment then that they should give you weights on lines and grain windows on rods. I think my comment started standards schmanderds.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

You'll notice that none of the makers give you the information you need to make an informed decision.

To understand how the line will cast, you would need to know the circumference of the line at points of change - at level tip, at end of front taper, etc. - and the weight of the line for the first 30' (less level tip). It would be nice if we had some measure for "suppleness"; however, there is no industrial standard for the bending resistance of ropes. There is, however, bending resistance standard tests for fabric and paper, so those might be apt.

But if the line makers provided the circumferences, we could halve the circumferences, determine the surface area of the resultant cones, and knowing the overall weight, estimate for ourselves whether the line was going to cut the wind or break wind and whether we should expect the tip to sink.

Aach, well.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

This is why fly fishing is oft said to embody both art and science. It is such an intelligent question; how to compare lines as apples to apples, and is so hard to answer. For my style of dry fly fishing I have repeated many times my preference for long head, extended rear taper floating lines. However, if you cast the prime examples from each maker: SA's Expert Distance and Textured Trout Stalker, RIO's Gold, Cortland Boss and Airflo Rangfinder, they FEEL nothing alike! Therefore, even with research, trial and error comparative analysis is the only true way to determine an optimal match. Then there is the issue of HOW to compare them without actually going out and buying them all...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interesting reference guide that I found. Note that I nothing to do with comprising the information, nor anything to do with the shop that did the legwork. I will say, I've ordered from them and they are top notch however.

Here's the blog entry:

Rio, Airflo, SA Fly Lines: Review & Product Guide | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

And the chart:

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/wp-c...ison-chart.pdf

I've used it for reference, but just like sweetandsalt mentioned, comparative analysis is always best--though not cheap.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Wow! You guys are great! Before I even had a chance to see this thread you had everything right there. This is why this is such a great forum.

I don't remember what line it was, but about a week or two ago one came up the manufacturer said was a full line weight different than the industry standard. I made the comment then that they should give you weights on lines and grain windows on rods. I think my comment started standards schmanderds.
Too funny by half, all too true!

fae

Dear God, shifting to the 'business' lap top and the smaller key board is a learning experience... PO OP