The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:36 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does it exsist??...Or is it like the mythical Unicorn.

Unicorns are in the eye of the beholder! Like Ard i mainly use the SA Mastery lines in DT. The saltwater DT Striper line that I have in wt I used this year for saltwater , steelhead and salmon as well as a big river line and it performed great in all instances! When I'm looking to fast cast or for a bit more distance I may go to a weight foward but generally the SA DT covers all bases.for fast casting I also like the Rio WF in the saltwater 9 or 10! As Dan stated specialties are over rated and I believe you must see what works the best for you in what you look to accomplish in what you are targeting!
fly_guy12955 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Unicorns are in the eye of the beholder!
I think you missed a few letters there Theboz. Isn't it supposed to be "Unicorns are in the eye of the beerholder"?
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And perhaps too are all-in-one fly lines. I am a little surprised by the broad support for DT's. Sure they do roll cast and mend well but on anything bigger than modest sized creeks, when any distance is called for beyond 45 feet the added mass of line beyond the tip top is exponentially overloads the rod, particularly tip response which dulls quickly. Also the diameter of the line's belly adds substantial additional friction trough the guides affecting distance and accuracy. I like SA Mastery lines too but I regard the Expert Distance Taper (ill named in my opinion) as a true standard, non-specialty line that does all a DT and WF does but better. It has a long head for roll casting ease and articulate mending and a 25' rear taper for zero hinging as typical of many WF lines with abrupt transitions to the running line and reduced extra mass of line held in the air or shot for distance. It promotes loop stability at all distances so is ideal for accurate reach and in-air line manipulation. It and similar lines like RIO Gold and Mastery Textured Trout are my concept of a standard line as they do everything well without the handicaps evident in old-school WF and DT designs.

Click the image to open in full size.
brookfieldangler likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Maybe I'm missing something.. But if one was to use a DT.. the front end cracks.. so you flip it around.. but at the same time.. water is getting in those cracks slowly rotting out your core... which to me would make for a weak line.. why would you want a weakened line on your reel? only to be ticked off when the big one runs and snaps your fly line?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Fly line cores don't rot anymore as they are mostly made of either hollow or solid braided nylon. Cracking and general deterioration of the coating, however, is only partially due to normal wear and tear but is primarily the result of the slowly migrating plasticizers that make the PVC coating supple and slick dissipating. So you are correct; by the time the front end of a DT is shot the little exposed reverse end is wearing out too simply due to migration. Having said that, I have plenty of lines mounted on reels for years that are still fine. If stored clean and dry in a dark drawer, away from ozone and ultraviolet, these chemical processes seem to slow down. The main point I am making is it is a false economy to select a line to save money down the line because it is reversible; lines are ever increasingly sophisticated and I don't mean due to silly specialized marketing names but rather improved core, coating chemistry and design of compound taper, weight distribution and surfacing. My on-lawn and on-water experiments with rod/line match-up over the seasons has verified for me that lines have evolved more rapidly than have rods to enhance the potential quality of our presentation techniques.

Look, I can and periodically do, join up a decades old rod, reel and line either for the fun of it or some sentimental connection between that outfit and the place I am intending to fish. Like most of us, I can cast most anything and stick a fish or two but at a certain point when the trout aren't rising, I may glance at the well used rod and patina enhanced reel and think, "I ought to put a new line on this, one of these days."
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Maybe I'm missing something.. But if one was to use a DT.. the front end cracks.. so you flip it around.. but at the same time.. water is getting in those cracks slowly rotting out your core... which to me would make for a weak line.. why would you want a weakened line on your reel? only to be ticked off when the big one runs and snaps your fly line?

I always put a good sized dab of aquaseal on the leader end of the fly line after I attach a leader or loop to keep water out.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I have a number of different lines in a particular weight for my trout fishing, where I vary presentations more as well as rod tapers. I have dry fly lines, such as the new SA Trout Stalker that is fabulously delicate in presentation of dry flies but woefully inadequate at delivering a weighted nymph rig with putty. I have general all purpose lines such as the RIO Gold and heavier lines such as GPX which I like on my fastest rods, especially in the wind. For my larger lines I use a standard WF as well as a Steelhead/Salmon taper and to me there is a difference because of the belly of the line difference. It makes a huge difference in throwing long mends for me.

Is there a holy grail - I think I could live with one line in each line class based on the fishing that I do and be fine. However, that doesn't mean that the rod is going to perform at optimal levels for me. By casting different tapers I have personally noticed which line performs best on which rod in which situation I'm fishing in at the time. For me to get maximum performance out of my rods based on my personal casting style, I need to change tapers and it has made a difference for me. This is something that I started doing over the past season and a half and is something I plan on paying increased attention to to enable me to refine my approach to my rods and my quarry.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I don't know about a holy grail, but I certainly have gotten rid of my nymph tapers in favor of all purpose wf lines. I don't believe they are necessary for nymphing and it is a pain to change up lines to start tossing dries.

I use dt lines on my light rods because I'm cheap and get 2 uses out of them.
milt spawn likes this.