The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Does it exsist??...Or is it like the mythical Unicorn.

I am looking for a good general purpose fly line, something that I can use for steelhead, bass, and saltwater. Does it exsist?? Or am I searching for the holy grail??
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Does it exsist??...Or is it like the mythical Unicorn.

Hi,

On most of my single hand fly rods I use the Scientific Anglers Mastery lines in DT. I have these lines from 3 weight for my little bamboo flea rod to 9 weight for a 9 X 9 graphite salmon stick. I have used these for years and some of them were purchased while I still lived in Pennsylvania in the late 1990's. Here I use them from May after the ice goes out until October when the ice chokes the guides.

Here's a DT 7 being cast for salmon running the surf line in a bay. (2006)
Click the image to open in full size.

Same line and rod with a fresh water fish........... (2006)

That same line is still on that same Viscount reel and I fished it last June (2012) it's as good as new. You may have read posts from me in the past about my thoughts on the brainwashing that marketing is achieving on the general fly fishing public today. I am fortunate to have grown up, and into this before there had been a 'Specialty Line' for every type of fishing. Seriously! There are 'Steelhead lines, Salmon lines, Salt lines, Cold water lines, Tropic lines, Spring Creek lines, Distance lines, Nymphing lines, what we really need are one for Still Water and another for Riffle Fishing

While all of that has swirled around me like a giant whirlpool I have somehow continued using those Scientific Angler lines, I do have an Orvis DT and a Cortland Laser DT also. I think you can use a Scientific Angler Mastery line in DT for anything you want.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi,

On most of my single hand fly rods I use the Scientific Anglers Mastery lines in DT. I have these lines from 3 weight for my little bamboo flea rod to 9 weight for a 9 X 9 graphite salmon stick. I have used these for years and some of them were purchased while I still lived in Pennsylvania in the late 1990's. Here I use them from May after the ice goes out until October when the ice chokes the guides.

Here's a DT 7 being cast for salmon running the surf line in a bay. (2006)

Same line and rod with a fresh water fish........... (2006)

That same line is still on that same Viscount reel and I fished it last June (2012) it's as good as new. You may have read posts from me in the past about my thoughts on the brainwashing that marketing is achieving on the general fly fishing public today. I am fortunate to have grown up, and into this before there had been a 'Specialty Line' for every type of fishing. Seriously! There are 'Steelhead lines, Salmon lines, Salt lines, Cold water lines, Tropic lines, Spring Creek lines, Distance lines, Nymphing lines, what we really need are one for Still Water and another for Riffle Fishing

While all of that has swirled around me like a giant whirlpool I have somehow continued using those Scientific Angler lines, I do have an Orvis DT and a Cortland Laser DT also. I think you can use a Scientific Angler Mastery line in DT for anything you want.

Ard
Great post Ard. Let me ask you this.... What are the inherent benefits of using a DT line as opposed to a WF line??

-Ian
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Ive gotta say the s.a. Gpx line. Just remember that all purpose doesn't do any one thing perfectly, but does a lot of things good.
fredaevans, lthrnk03 and itchmesir like this.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Although I understand the design of WF lines under most real trout fishing situations casting is seldom done at distances over 60'. Add on the leader length and the rod and you are reaching out about 75 foot or so with a cast like that. I like the idea of having a reversible line, the DT has an identical taper on each end so when it becomes worn or cracked you just flip it end for end then start over. I know it's probably in my mind but I find a DT better for mending and control on longer casts.

I just looked at the picture of casting in the bay. I remember that day well and if you look at the line hanging into the water while I haul for speed on the cast you can imagine that this was distance casting. A DT line will shoot through the guides for you, it's all about technique. The casts in the salt with open beach behind me were pushing into the rear taper.
fredaevans and lthrnk03 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The first time I went bonefishing back in the 80's was to a little Mayan village in the Yucatan during the month of June. I had an Orvis 8'9"/#8 Western Series which cast great, a Frank Catino cork disc draw-bar reel which was terrific and the then very popular Cortland 444SL fly line who's coating, in Ascension Bay's relentless early summer heat, turned the consistency of bubble gum.

My contemporary rods and reels might be better than that old outfit though not game-changing better but modern "Tropical" speciality fly lines are way superior. Having a specialty line for right handed versus left handed casters might be over the top but clearly there are lines designed with short front tapers and aggressive heads for tossing wind resistant and heavy big flies and, conversely, elongated tapers for dry fly technical presentation that enhance performance. Often it is not the specific species you are pursuing but the rod's design itself that determines the optimal line and, when striving to fine-tune the performance of a new rod I am often pleased that there are lines with varied taper designs and weight bias and variation to select from.

Sophisticated fly lines and leader/tippet materials are not as exciting as rods and reels but are where the rubber meets the road and thus un-sung technical heroes. If we had to deal with silk and gut most of us would NOT be fly fishing.
billyspey likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread going here and the comment above about a line doing a lot of things well pretty much covers it. Would a specialty line work a tab bit better? $90.00 better?

The idea of a DT vs a WF is a matter of choice. All single hander lines are rated (grains) for just the first 30 feet so a WF is just 'that.' As you put out more line with a DT the line actually gets heavier.

Major difference between 'cold water' and 'warm water' lines is the formulation of the line materials. They are really quite different.

Almost forgot ... as to the Unicorn, yes they exist. North Korea just found one, been all the 'News' of late.........
lthrnk03 likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
the then very popular Cortland 444SL fly line who's coating, in Ascension Bay's relentless early summer heat, turned the consistency of bubble gum.
Those lines were like corkscrews in the cold too. Not that popular in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
there are lines designed with short front tapers and aggressive heads for tossing wind resistant and heavy big flies
The line that I've been using most often in the salt lately is a regular 444 "peach".
I had to cut around 8" off the tip to get it to perform well with big flies in the wind, but if you're not afraid to "customize" then you can make a general purpose line line perform as well as a specialty line
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Another fan of DT fly lines here, I'm a fan of the 444 "peach" too and can say it stays pretty darn supple in the cold and I haven't experienced any sticky gummy feeling in the heat.
fly_guy12955 likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, if Unicorns are mythical, then what did they base the hundreds of paintings and small statues of them in my house on huh? Just kidding.....maybe.

I think the specialty thing in lines is kind of over rated. I have a I have a lot of lines I use for a whole lot of things they were not intended for and they do it just fine. Not saying it's a waste of money to do it, but I don't run out and buy a new line for every type of fly and rod I own either. I have a very slow sink 5 wt line I have used for everything from size 14 dry flies to big stinking deer hair popper. I know there are a lot of lines that would be better for some of this, like both ends of my example there. It sinks slow enough that if you see a fish like oh say, a Mooneye rising on little Mayflies, you can fast stick a fly and a smaller leader quick and get it. If you ar walking down the bank and see Moby Pike whack a fish, you can put a big deer hair bug and a tooth proof leader (or just risk it) and get it. So in my experience the absolutely most versitile line I have is the RIO Lazy Sink Fly Line. WF5SI. I love that line but it's not made anymore. I noticed cracks in the first few inches of the line this Fall when I was cleaning it after this fish:
In tight spots I can single hand spey cast it;
Another line I have found to be a pretty versatile line since I bring up single hand spey casting, is the Trevor Morgan WF7F. He made it roll casting in tight spots in mind but it is a freaking awsome line for tossing flies far. The first time my friend Bill cast it, he put the backing knot so far out of the rod it was rediculous. I use it for Poppers, Clousers, it floats like a cork, better than lines like Airflo etc. It's the best single hand spey casting line I have. If you plan to do any of that you need a fairly long head.

All of them are as versatile as you are willing to force them to be.
wt bash likes this.