The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM

vango is on a distinguished road
Default recommendations for Sage 586-4

I have been gifted a new sage 586-4. I will be using it to fish small streams and creeks in the driftless area. Does anyone have experience with this rod. Can you share with me what you would recommend for line and how the rod has performed for you. I am interested in making good presentations at shorter distances.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: recommendations for Sage 586-4

What model? Is it the Z-Axis, ZXL, TXL, Circa, or ONE?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

If it's the Z go with WF5F Rio Gold; works great on mine.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 PM

It is the Sage One 586-4
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Maybe the Rio Grand line in 5wt would be better for the One; it is 1/2wt heavier for loading fast rods and if you are doing close in casting this is a good thing. Here is a review that recommends the Rio Grand to start with and the Rio Gold for advanced casters:

Sage ONE Wins the Red's Fly Shop 5 Weight Fly Rod Shootout | Red's Fly Shop

Last edited by wannafish; 12-16-2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I have fished both RIO Grande and Gold on Sage ONE 9'/#5 and the Gold takes the gold.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have fished both RIO Grande and Gold on Sage ONE 9'/#5 and the Gold takes the gold.
There you go
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

We all have different casting styles. Some folks will like a heavier line on a fast action rod, such as a GPX, Rio Grande, etc. Some will like a true 5 wt line like a Rio Gold. If it's possible for you to cast multiple lines on your rod, I would recommend it. That's not always an option for most people but if you can, I recommend it. Personally, I use three different lines on my fast action 5 weight rods, Rio Gold, SA GPX and SA Textured Trout. I rarely fish a 5 wt. in the Driftless area but when I do I prefer the SA lines and the Textured Trout if I'm dry fly fishing all day.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I too like the SA Textured Trout (Stalker) but its long front taper makes it a line primarily for experienced fishers. I dislike the feel over over-lined rods unless, due to their design, they genuinely need it.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Pretty awesome stuff that you all share..makes it easier to get through these winter days and dream of spring when i will be out practicing with my flyrods and who knows..maybe this summer i will catch my first trout by fly along with a smallmouth or northern pike. What a learning curve going from spinning to fly! Thanks, Dan