The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fly to leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I use a 6 inch section of Maxima Chameleon, nail knotted to the end o my fly line. For a 5 or 6 wt line, I use 25 lb test which is .020" diameter.

Because Maxima Chameleon is a stiff mono that is used for the butt sections of hand tied leaders, there will be no hinging.
I've been using Maxima Chameleon for years to build leaders. Wonderful material.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Fly to leader

i like 30-40 lb. maxima(i like chameleon) nail knotted to my fly line with a nice tight perfection loop.
to get a nice tight perfection loop, grab some old mono or whatever and practice,practice,practice.....
for your nail knots, i recommend the tie-fast. i use it all the time and love it
Cabela's: Tie-Fast Knot Tying Tool

casey

ARFE
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

I just went to my fly shop and asked George Daniels to rig me up hahah he put 20lb mono with a nail knot and perfection loop He is a very nice guy
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool that he took care of you. I have not met George, but everyone says the same thing..."what a nice guy". His book is excellent and a must read for those who like to nymph.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

The butt section of mono nail-knotted to the fly line and then with a loop at the end of the mono is a long standing practice, yes. But since jhardin's problem is the perfection loop getting snagged in your tip top, I don't see how with will change the problem for you. You will know have two perfection loop knots right next to each other rather than just one and your line loop.

Have you looked at the noon-slip mono loop? It is a great loop knot and might be a little bit smaller than the perfection. I like the knot, but I'm not sure if it is much smaller, maybe a little more stream-lined thought. And with heavy material, like the 0.21 butt of a leader you don't have to use so many wraps around the standing end, try just two and see if it holds, I think it will.

Non-Slip Mono Knot | How to tie a Non-Slip Mono Knot | Fishing Knots
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

His perfection loop was getting stuck because he tied one right into the fly line not mono or anything of the sort
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
His perfection loop was getting stuck because he tied one right into the fly line not mono or anything of the sort
Ooooooohhh. Never-me-mind!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM

bsmith95610 is on a distinguished road
Default 8 weight fly line what lb chameleon test?

I have the same issue and will try to do the Chameleon line with a nail knot to the fly line with a perfection loop at the end of the Chameleon line. My question is what lb test should the Chameleon line be if my fly line is 8 weight?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 weight fly line what lb chameleon test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith95610 View Post
I have the same issue and will try to do the Chameleon line with a nail knot to the fly line with a perfection loop at the end of the Chameleon line. My question is what lb test should the Chameleon line be if my fly line is 8 weight?
The nail knotted mono loop should match the same flexibility as the end of your fly line. This prevents connection from hinging and cracking.
I believe that I use 40# Maxima on my 8wt lines
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 AM

bsmith95610 is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks for the info I'll try the 40lb Maxima Chameleon. I looked online and see that it's .024 in diameter I'm not sure the diameter of normal 8 weight line since those should match but I'll try the 40lb and let you know how it works.