The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: flourocarbon

As I said, I normally don't try to sink the tippet on a dry even though I've read you are supposed to. In any event I usually tie about an 18" tippet on the the end of whatever leader I am using. I figured if that 18" sank, that such a short length (18") wouldn't pull a dry under. In any event, for anyone that has done this, is it worthwhile? That is, have you noticed better takes by the trout?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Probably all in my head or shear confidence, but I have gone fishing with guides before, same stretch, same flies, but choose fluoro and I do catch more.
I should say, I use a 5' to 6' furled leader very well greased for dries and usually at least 3' of fluoro give or take. I tie the flies one with a Surgeon's loop and it works for me.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, flouro for subsurface, mono for dries. That's been the understood use since flouro came out. Doesn't mean everyone uses them the same, but the flouro is heavier than mono, thus it sinks easier. As far as catching more fish on top using flouro tippets, it's not worth the tradeoff for me to deal with the aggrivation of the tippet dragging my fly under. Use mono, grease things up and make a good presentation.

This past Saturday I was fishing dry flies and using mono tippets. My largest fish, a 23-inch, 6lb rainbow, charged two-feet across the surface to take my Parasol Emerger fly hanging off of a 2x mono tippet. The other fish I caught were all 18 to 22 inches and they took a size 14 dry fly emerger pattern attached to a 4x tippet with a Dnncan Loop (Uni)knot. Presentation was the key.

All of my dry fly surface fishing is done this way. proof is in the puddin':
Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Hey, flouro for subsurface, mono for dries. That's been the understood use since flouro came out. Doesn't mean everyone uses them the same, but the flouro is heavier than mono, thus it sinks easier. As far as catching more fish on top using flouro tippets, it's not worth the tradeoff for me to deal with the aggrivation of the tippet dragging my fly under. Use mono, grease things up and make a good presentation.

This past Saturday I was fishing dry flies and using mono tippets. My largest fish, a 23-inch, 6lb rainbow, charged two-feet across the surface to take my Parasol Emerger fly hanging off of a 2x mono tippet. The other fish I caught were all 18 to 22 inches and they took a size 14 dry fly emerger pattern attached to a 4x tippet with a Dnncan Loop (Uni)knot. Presentation was the key.

All of my dry fly surface fishing is done this way. proof is in the puddin':

Kelly.

My 6 lber's bigger than yours....LOL

Old 08-18-2010, 11:35 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
My 6 lber's bigger than yours....LOL

That's a 10 pounder girl, any fisher person can see that! Wow, what a fish! Mojo asked about the water I was on, Bruce Staples called me about it today and is there as we speak. It was beyond fantastic, you guys have got to come and play.

kelly.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM

I agree we need to wet some flies, but right now it looks like third week of Sept. at the H
Can you do that? We want to do a Sat. to following Sun.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I agree we need to wet some flies, but right now it looks like third week of Sept. at the H
Can you do that? We want to do a Sat. to following Sun.
So far, so good. Sunday is out for me, but the Saturday will definitely work.. I'll PM you for details.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled flourocarbon thread...

Kelly.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:29 PM

Well then, is it generally agreed that for dry fly fishing a flourocarbon tippet really isn't necessary- more for subsurface?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 PM

It depends on who you ask. I use it on everything...necessary? Makes all the difference in to world - to me. Like I said I fish #32's (DRIES) in the winter and I use fluoro.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Well then maybe I'll stop being a cheap son of a gun and get some.