The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wt bash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Help Choosing A Fly Line...

I have an Albright GPX 9'6 7/8 on the way... I'm not sure what line I want for the style of rod I would like to see this be... Below is what I'd like to be able to do/learn on this rod...

*Learn/Perform single handed spey casts
*Will mainly be used for streamers and heavy nymphing
*Would target Salmon/Steelies.. Carp.. Smallies.. Pike.. etc...

Now I've never owned a double weighted rod before(or whatever the term for them is.. 7/8.. 4/5.. etc..) I'm expecting a 7wt line makes a 7/8 a little faster while an 8wt would put it more on the med-fast side?
Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help Choosing A Fly Line...

Bummer I just sold a reel loaded with a triangle taper I would have sent you to try. Since I don't have it anymore all I can do is recommend it. Some don't really like it but for single hand spey casts I found it to be excellent. Plus once the full head is past the tip its a rocket launcher.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with that rod but I would first contact Albright and see if they can give you line suggestions for the rod. Since line isn't necessarily cheap, their recommendations should help you hone in on what you're looking for. Maybe someone with a rod from the GPX line or more familiar with it than me will chime in.

For whatever it's worth...

I am using Rio's Indicator for my single hand steelie setup and am doing some single hand spey casting with it. It's ideal for me given that I'm nymphing and throwing streamers. The long head makes mending easy.

I've also heard good things about Triangle Taper for single hand spey casting or overhead casting with a switch.

As for learning to do single hand spey casting, you can do it with any rod in reality. During my last casting lesson, I had expressed interest in a lesson with my switch. The instructor suggested that before taking that lesson, bring my favorite single hand rod with me and he'd teach me a few things with that one.

Good luck, enjoy the new rod.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Where in Minnesota are you? Because I have a Trevor Morgan 7 wt. single hand line that single hand spey casts reayy well. It's two tone so there is no guessing where the head starts. It has a long enough head to make it easy. If you are not to far away or can make it up here I'll let you try this line on it. I fish Smallies on it a lot. It also casts really well overhead. It would have made a decent distance line. It has a shorter head than real distance lines but if you can't carry a ton of line in the air that's probably better anyway.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:09 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Where in Minnesota are you? Because I have a Trevor Morgan 7 wt. single hand line that single hand spey casts reayy well. It's two tone so there is no guessing where the head starts. It has a long enough head to make it easy. If you are not to far away or can make it up here I'll let you try this line on it. I fish Smallies on it a lot. It also casts really well overhead. It would have made a decent distance line. It has a shorter head than real distance lines but if you can't carry a ton of line in the air that's probably better anyway.
Thanks for the offer Dan... But we're probably at just about the furthest away from each other in Minnesota that is physically possible.. As I'm in Winona.. But that doesn't mean I don't make it up that way from time to time..

I think I'll give the TT a shot... As I've always wanted to see what this stuff was all about in the first place.. and there is some on the cheap at the auction site.. thanks for the advice