The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Guest1
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:35 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default 12 pound test backing question....

Hey folks,

So far Santa has proven he is a fly fisherman and has smiled on me. I got a new 5wt rod (Cabela's Stowaway 6, 9') to mate with my new Lamson Konic. But the other big score was I am now mating a Redington CT 3 wt I just bought for a killer deal with a new Lamson Konic 1.5 for panfishing from the kayak. Upon browsing the Lamson website it says to use 12 pound test backing. A quick google search turns up a couple of choices, but it seems both are white in color. I really have my heart set on hi-viz orange, or lacking that hi-viz yellow. It really is for aesthetics only, and if worse comes to worse I will use the white, but I figured I would see if anyone knows of hi-viz orange or yellow backing in 12 pound test. Or barring that could I simply just use, say 50 or 75 yards of 20 pound test (of which I know I have plenty of options in Hi-viz)?

Thanks a million, and a most happy and merry Christmas to you all!

Brian
Old 12-24-2012, 07:47 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 12 pound test backing question....

You could use less of the 20lb, I don't think you will be needing much backing anyways, 50-100yds seems PLENTY to me for a 3wt. If you can't find the high viz in 12lb, you could look into the colored PowerPro braided lines, it would be expensive, but you could get something like 40lb breaking strength with 12lb diameter.

-Chase
Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chased View Post
You could use less of the 20lb, I don't think you will be needing much backing anyways, 50-100yds seems PLENTY to me for a 3wt.
That was kind of what I was thinking too, so thanks for confirming my suspicion. I know it may be silly, being so color specific, but the hi-viz orange backing with the willow colored fly line of the SA GPX looks simply gorgeous on my other Lamson.

Thanks again my friend and a Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Brian
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Why not dye it? Works for fly line, so it ought to work just fine on backing material.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously doubt you are going to have a fish peeling a bunch of line off with a 3 wt. What are you targeting with it? I'd just get the 20 lb. I'd do it for two reasons. It comes in the orange you want and I would not want my expensive fly line out of the rod if one did run you into backing, hanging on 12 lb. test.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

+1 for 20 lb. your not gonna the extra backing on that reel anyway.
sounds like a pretty nice rig you've got there, you should post some pics of it on the reel love/rod love threads

casey

ARFE
Old 12-25-2012, 12:10 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Nice outfit. I just bought the same Redington rod and matched it with a Redington Drift 3/4 reel. I put Hi-viz orange backing on it with a transparent Airflo line, casts great and looks nice. Enjoy yours.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:32 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

5wt or a 3wt? Not sure if I've missed something here. That said, had that rod in a 3wt and it's a total treat to cast.

Considering (I assume) you're chasing trout 75'ish yards (fill the reel sort of thing) of 20# is all you'll need. Even the 'fish of a life time' will have trouble pulling off 90' of fly line and another 225 feet of backing. (Think the length of a football field for comparison.)

On the odd chance this might happen, that will be the fish you never forget. You were 'out-gunned' to begin with.

But why 20#? You need backing that's at least as strong as the core of the fly line.

fae
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM

Hey fredaevans, I just got a new 5wt rod. This will be a general use rod. The backing question is about another new rig, a 3 wt rig I also now have coming to me (reel should be in in a couple days, rod next week.)

The 3wt is going to be what I think is a nice panfish rig from my kayak. Smaller gills, perch and crappie. I figured it would be a nice all around match to the 5wt rig for bass (which don't grow very huge up north here) and the occasional trout trip. I of course won't ever rule out the 3wt rig for smaller trout, but since any trout fishing would be more pond and river I didn't think a very compact light weight rig would be a big requirement.

So this settles it. I am just going to use a less amount of the 20# backing and call it good. Thanks again everyone, and when the new rig comes in I will be sure to post a picture of the new collection!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all! With the snow flying outside right now, and the new fly rod sitting next to me I can't help but ask.....is it spring yet?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian miville View Post
Hey fredaevans, I just got a new 5wt rod. This will be a general use rod. The backing question is about another new rig, a 3 wt rig I also now have coming to me (reel should be in in a couple days, rod next week.)

The 3wt is going to be what I think is a nice panfish rig from my kayak. Smaller gills, perch and crappie. I figured it would be a nice all around match to the 5wt rig for bass (which don't grow very huge up north here) and the occasional trout trip. I of course won't ever rule out the 3wt rig for smaller trout, but since any trout fishing would be more pond and river I didn't think a very compact light weight rig would be a big requirement.

So this settles it. I am just going to use a less amount of the 20# backing and call it good. Thanks again everyone, and when the new rig comes in I will be sure to post a picture of the new collection!

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all! With the snow flying outside right now, and the new fly rod sitting next to me I can't help but ask.....is it spring yet?
First, it's just 'Fred,' post everywhere with my real name. Folks have this over kill idea about how much backing you need on a reel (lets leave salt water fishing for Tarpon out of this). Real deal is you have just 100 yards of backing and a 90 foot line. Add ten foot of leader and now we're at 400.'

Soo, THE BIG ONE!! He gets all the line & leader and now 100 foot away. He gets that that 100 yards of backing ... Fishie is now 400 feet away; what are your odds save you're in a boat and can chase and get that back?

Actually had that happen once. MONSTER King Salmon off the end of a 2hander and motor guide boat fellow sees same and motors over and asks "Would you like a ride?"

SOOO YES!

End Game of that was I was close to exhaustion reeling in all that line as we motored down stream chasing this Blo ody thing. Next to boat and Guide Guy puts his weight thing in the fishes jaw and it pins out at 35 pounds and half the fish is still in the water.

"Want me to pull him in?"

'Naa, just me and my dog (Ship! He's still up on the beach!!!!!!) and an old Cat; what the hell would I do with all that?'

Guide cut my leader and let him go.

Clients actually applauded: thumbsupu; I kid you not.
leithel likes this.