The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM

cocoaandme is on a distinguished road
Default Airflo Ridge Lines

I just bought a few packs of Airflo ridge lines in a package deal and I was wondering what people's thoughts are on them? I have been using SA Sharkskin Ultimate Trout and I thought that the Airflo ridge might be similar? Haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Airflo Ridge Lines

Airflo ridge are high quality fly lines. I have sharkskin, GPX, RIO Gold, Grand, and a few other high end lines and airflo ridge lines are right up there with them. Depending on the rod they are some of my favorite lines. They cast well, are durable, shoot great, mend well, and float like a premium line should. They offer the benefits of sharkskin to a large extent without the noise and wear on fingers.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
Airflo ridge are high quality fly lines. I have sharkskin, GPX, RIO Gold, Grand, and a few other high end lines and airflo ridge lines are right up there with them. Depending on the rod they are some of my favorite lines. They cast well, are durable, shoot great, mend well, and float like a premium line should. They offer the benefits of sharkskin to a large extent without the noise and wear on fingers.
Oh that's nice to hear! I am hoping to get out on the water next week and try one out. I was wondering if they would have the same rubbing that the sharkskin has. It's nice that they don't. I had to get gloves for streamer fishing.

How often should I be cleaning and greasing the line?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaandme View Post
Oh that's nice to hear! I am hoping to get out on the water next week and try one out. I was wondering if they would have the same rubbing that the sharkskin has. It's nice that they don't. I had to get gloves for streamer fishing.

How often should I be cleaning and greasing the line?
You are going to get a million different answers on that one. I clean my lines after EVERY use to make certain their life is as long as possible. I'm a bit of a neat freak, though. A clean line floats well.

You can get away without cleaning a line if you are fishing a water without a lot of scum, junk, weeds, brush, etc...... I err on the side of caution because it only takes a few minutes to keep a line clean.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Hey Trout sniper what's your usual routine for cleaning a line?
I'd be interested in taking a couple more steps to try to get a bit more life out of my lines.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I got turned onto Airflo Ridge Lines last year and have been extremely happy with them. I too have lines from Rio and SA and found the Airflo lines to be on par with them. I don't find them to float quite as good as SA Textured line (nothing I have tried does) but they do just fine. The key with any line is getting a taper that is suitable for your rod and the flies you're going to throw with it.

Couple of questions: What model line did you get? There are several Ridge Line offerings. What rod(s) are you intending on matching them up with?

As for when/how often to clean them, it's pretty simple really. When the line doesn't shoot out the way I know it's supposed to, I wipe them down.

siski, this is pretty much the process I follow with good results.

Cleaning Fly Lines - Fishing Tips | RIO
Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
Hey Trout sniper what's your usual routine for cleaning a line?
I'd be interested in taking a couple more steps to try to get a bit more life out of my lines.
I'm no expert but it goes like this. After a trip I soak my line, stripped into one side of a sink, in warm water with a little mild dish soap for around 10-15 minutes. I then use a sponge or similar product and fold it in half, applying a bit of pressure to it as I strip it through into the other sink with fresh water. I rinse it well and make certain no soap residue can possibly be on there.

I then dry it by stripping it through a very soft towel in my hand, letting it fall on a clean towel. I then use a fly line dressing (I use the Airflo Whiz Lube applicator and reel it through that). I have also used the RIO Agent X cleaning kit with great results.
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road

When you clean and lube your Airflo lines, just use soapy water and then apply armor all, you can't use armor all on SA or Rio lines, but you can on Airflo lines. Saves you some coin as far as buying special line cleaner/conditioners.

Airflo lines do not float as high as SA or Rio lines do in my experience, but they are very good lines.

I also would suggest not using SA or Rio line cleaning/conditioning products on Airflo lines, they are designed for an entirely different material than Airflo lines are made of. I do not believe SA or Rio line conditioning products will ruin an Airflo line, but Armor All works better.

Armor All will dry out and ruin SA or Rio lines, do not use it on them. Just wanted to make that clear, hate for someone to ruin a good line!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout sniper View Post
You are going to get a million different answers on that one. I clean my lines after EVERY use to make certain their life is as long as possible. I'm a bit of a neat freak, though. A clean line floats well.

You can get away without cleaning a line if you are fishing a water without a lot of scum, junk, weeds, brush, etc...... I err on the side of caution because it only takes a few minutes to keep a line clean.
I tend to be not so fastidious about my lines but I think I should definitely start being more responsible about cleaning them. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post

Couple of questions: What model line did you get? There are several Ridge Line offerings. What rod(s) are you intending on matching them up with?
I got a few models:
Airflo Ridge Supple Technical WF4,5,7,8
Airflo Ridge Tactical WF6
Airflo Ridge Supple Impact WF6

I got them in a bulk deal and I was planning on getting new setups to go with them but right now I have a St. Croix Imperial 5wt 9' 4 piece and a Sonik S4 5/6wt 9' 4 piece (from the UK). I am planning on getting a sonik s4 xt 7/8wt to fish on larger waters.

The St. Croix and Sonik are both mid action rods (or at least they feel like it to me). Do you think the airflo lines will be suitable on these rods?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Airflo lines differ from our three prominent US line makers in that, rather than PVC coating over stretchable braided nylon, they are some sort of polymer over a limited stretch core material. As SA has done with textured line surfaces to reduce frictional contact with the guides, Airflo has longitudinal ridges running the length of the line for the same reason...though no hiss is generated. With the possible exxception of Airflo Rangfinder which has a very (perhaps too) long front taper, they don't have a correspondingly sophisticated presentation taper as the Sharkskin or Textured Trout or RIO Gold. Never the less they are great casting lines when matched to a rod that likes them as is the case with virtually all fly lines. My Scott S4s#8 loves Tropical Ridge...my #8 NRX does not. I use Ridge Supple Impact on my 6-weight and it casts great and has held up to drift boat abuse admirably.