The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By comeonavs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Sage TXL and Rio Trout LT DT

Just wanted to throw it out there, my wife bought me a TXL-F 1WT for Christmas. I have a reel with Rio selective trout II in a WF 1WT. I strung up the rod and lawn cast it. It was ok and I mean ok, sort of was thinking "we'll I'll get used to it".

Last week I thought what the heck and ordered the Trout LT for it. Got it strung up today and oh my god what a difference . That line is made for that rod . I can not believe The difference. Just yard casting was night and day difference in loops, accuracy and line speed.when I say line speed I don't mean like when I crank on the Zaxis or Hydros, I mean smooth casts with great loops/ line speed.

Cant wait until July to tie a size 18 Adams on this bad boy and go chase 8" Brookies and solitude at 9,000 feet
jaybo41 and surface film like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage TXL and Rio Trout LT DT

It's amazing what a difference line can have on a rod. Glad to hear you found the right one, that's pretty exciting when you find THE line for your rod.

From what I understand the Trout LT is the tweaked version of Selective Trout. What exactly the tweaks are I'm not sure though I suspect they were fairly subtle. I am using WF Selective Trout II on my TXL (not TXL-F) 470-3 and that seems to be a good line for it, but I haven't tried a DT on it. What are you using on your TXL's Avs?

Also, how does the TXL compare to the TXL-F in terms of flex/action?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

On both my 3 and 4 wt TXL's (3piece model) I am using the SA textured trout stalker WF and it is fantastic on there. I feel like the TXL-F is just a twitch slower or full flexing than the TXL, but even with that fuller flex it still feels like a little cannon. I had read reviews that the TXL-F 1WT was a cannon and I was skeptical but now I believe it. Obviously cannon is a relative term when talking about 1WT's

I had used WF selective trout II on a Elkhorn 1WT and loved it, also used it occasionally on the 3WT TXL and it was good.

The older TXL being faster makes sense that it likes the trout stalker as I was told it is slightly overline size, not like the GPX but a tad heavy.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
On both my 3 and 4 wt TXL's (3piece model) I am using the SA textured trout stalker and it is fantastic on there. I feel like the TXL-F is just a twitch slower or full flexing than the TXL, but even with that fuller flex it still feels like a little cannon. I had read reviews that the TXL-F 1WT was a cannon and I was skeptical but now I believe it.

The older TXL being faster makes sense that it likes the trout stalker as I was told it is slightly overline size, not like the GPX but a tad heavy.
That's what I'd gathered from reading about difference between TXL-F and TXL. Next time I'm due for line on the TXL, maybe I'll need to consider the Trout Stalker line. The Textured GPX I have on my Z really makes the line fly out of those guides and floats better than any other line I've tried.

Those TXL's are cannons too and pretty interesting rods. They have the sensitivity of a rod roughly a line size down but enough to power the line rated for at minimum.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
That's what I'd gathered from reading about difference between TXL-F and TXL. Next time I'm due for line on the TXL, maybe I'll need to consider the Trout Stalker line. The Textured GPX I have on my Z really makes the line fly out of those guides and floats better than any other line I've tried.

Those TXL's are cannons too and pretty interesting rods. They have the sensitivity of a rod roughly a line size down but enough to power the line rated for at minimum.
I think you and I have pretty similar rod line ups. I also run GPX in my 4WT Zaxis also in a 6WT tip flex Hydros

Yeah I am a big fan of the trout stalker, A local shop had a bring in a old line and get $20 off any line so I bought 2 spools each of 3 and 4wt trout stalker. I really dig it, such low memory even when it is freezing cold it remains supple and lays out so nice. Then when fishing dries the way it breaks tension with the water avoiding the old fly dunk is a huge plus fishing dries.