The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Camo fly line?

I have always like subdued colours, fishing gear, clothing etc. The danger of camo lines is that one might think a line can be cast a little less carefully when indeed it cannot. No matter what colour your line is presentation of the line is about as important as presentation of the fly. Fish see things pretty well above the surface and I have seen them spooked by lines passing over on occasion. So pick something that casts well for you and just watch how you present it during the cast. My 2 cents Canadian worth.
fysh and surface film like this.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
camo fly line = good marketing gimmick for gullible fly angler
So do you pay more to avoid getting camo line?
You have to buy some line eventually and it has to be one color or the other. What difference it makes to you really shouldn't matter to the person using it, no.
My feelings are that any color line that gives you confidence will work better... for you.
surface film likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM

surface film is on a distinguished road

Surprising that after viewing the information in that book, I don't know of a single company making "white" fly lines.

Anyone know of any? Would also aid in knowing when to clean your fly line too, be easier to tell...

I would be interested in giving it a shot, at the least, couldn't hurt your chances any.

One thing that the book fails to mention is, are we seeing these lines exactly how a Trout would? I mean, is there a way to do so, what if they don't see colors as we do, even if they see colors, any info out there on that?

Cool discussion.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-12-2013, 01:31 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Cortland Fairplay, Snowbee XS, SA Air Cel Supreme 2, Loop SH line, Royal Wulff Ambush, AirFlo Delta, Joan Wulff Signature (has 32 foot ivory head), Crystal River, The Orvis Hydros Superfine is pretty close (they call it "willow").

I just did a google image search, so take the above with a grain of salt.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though it might be a marketing Gimmick lots of people have Camo Hunting Gear as well,me included,I still would rather have them in a Gren/Olive Colours,however lots of gear was only made in Camo Colours.
I've never used The Rio Line,so I can't comment on it,after I watched a Cortland line being used in New Zealand,I bought one & I don't like it,it's one of The worst Lines I've ever used whereas most of the other Cortland Lines were good.
Brian.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Surprising that after viewing the information in that book, I don't know of a single company making "white" fly lines.

Anyone know of any? Would also aid in knowing when to clean your fly line too, be easier to tell...

I would be interested in giving it a shot, at the least, couldn't hurt your chances any.

One thing that the book fails to mention is, are we seeing these lines exactly how a Trout would? I mean, is there a way to do so, what if they don't see colors as we do, even if they see colors, any info out there on that?

Cool discussion.
Trevor Morgan has white lines. I saw a brand today that was white also on a web site forgot the name. I think snobees has white ones also. There are a lot of saltwater lines that are pretty close to white. I have abonefish line that is pretty close. If you look at flats lines they are all light. These are for clear shallow water. There are a ton of saltwater lines that are blue. I think that it's a matter of marketing that they have not done better in the freshwater market. To many people stuck on the dark line idea to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
Cortland Fairplay, Snowbee XS, SA Air Cel Supreme 2, Loop SH line, Royal Wulff Ambush, AirFlo Delta, Joan Wulff Signature (has 32 foot ivory head), Crystal River, The Orvis Hydros Superfine is pretty close (they call it "willow").

I just did a google image search, so take the above with a grain of salt.
Missed this before I posted.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

This season I'm trying clear tactical floating line on my 5 weight? Will it shadow in the water? More than likely. Why did I buy it then? The color concept fascinated me + it was on sale. But then again, I'm a firm believer in wearing camo clothing when wading. So if the line absorbs the coloration of its surrounding....hmmmmm...we shall see
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
So do you pay more to avoid getting camo line?
You have to buy some line eventually and it has to be one color or the other. What difference it makes to you really shouldn't matter to the person using it, no.
My feelings are that any color line that gives you confidence will work better... for you.

No.. I just don't buy camo line.. I have optic yellow, peach, grey, red line.. all bought at clearance or auctioned for at lower prices.. and all have caught me plenty of fish... In the end.. I'm not caring what color the line is... I'm more concerned about it's overall performance.. and getting it cheaper than at retail price
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM

surface film is on a distinguished road

Just for the heck of it, I am going to contact Rio and SA to ask them why they don't make more white fly lines "or any at all" for say standard issue Trout fishing and see what they say. Should be interesting!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I have an Airflo Transparent dry line which is to say more opaque than transparent, even it leaves a bit of a shadow but is a little less noticeable than other solid colours. Again though avoid "lining" the fish and it won't matter so much.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.