The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM

surface film is on a distinguished road
Default Response from Scientific Anglers

"Thank you for contacting 3M, the innovation company; Scientific Anglers(TM) Fly Fishing products.

Our Pro advises that some choose brighter colors because they can be seen in the air and on the water. This will help locate the fly easier and helps with a more accurate cast.

Some choose darker colors because they believe the dull colored lines will not spook the fish. The color of line is a matter of preference. There is no evidence to prove or disprove that the color of the line has any effect on the fish

If we may be of further assistance, feel free to contact us at your convenience via email or phone.

Office hours are M-F, 8AM to 4:30PM CT. If you call, please mention this email so that we may access the file that has been created under your name/email address.

We value your support of 3M products."
dean_mt likes this.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Response from Scientific Anglers

Well, there you have it. Straight from "the innovation company" itself. With the amount of money to be made off from fly fisherman with "new, improved, advanced" anything, certainly 3M and SA have done R&D on line color. If they thought it mattered they would be selling clear lines, white lines, blue lines with tiny clouds printed on them ...
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Camo fly line?

I am pretty sure all of the larger line companies have done the same study and simply cater to what anglers ask for.
SA caters as much as anyone does in one way or another and whatever the reasoning there is nothing wrong with that. Most of us come up with ideas, pre-conceived or otherwise that we tend to believe over whatever any Pro(s) tell us and fish that much better because we have faith in the equipment we are using, even if it is misplaced faith it just does not matter. Part of being Human.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

A pure white fly line.....I don't think there are very many of those on the market. I don't think that a company would like their nice white line to turn beige or grey after a bit of use.

As for camo lines.....I just ordered a Rio Grande WF9 in camo and tan, on special, because where I live, I would have had to pay about double the cost. I don't care what colour my fly line is. I still have good eyesight.....unless you want me to read the fine print.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
There is no evidence to prove or disprove that the color of the line has any effect on the fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have also lined a ton of fish with an optic orange line and still caught them.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Hope that sarcastic response was not aimed at me, I simply was quoting what SA stated in their response...
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." ~ John Gierach
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Hope that sarcastic response was not aimed at me, I simply was quoting what SA stated in their response...
The SA response is interesting, and I appreciate you posting it. I will add to that the following quote on Orvis' website about their Hydros Superfine line:

"An excellent fly line choice for spring creeks, slow moving, and clear water situations where stealth and technical expertise are at a premium. Even the color is designed with stealth in mind."

Then my question to Orvis would be this: If that color (willow) is so great, why don't you use it on your other lines?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
The SA response is interesting, and I appreciate you posting it. I will add to that the following quote on Orvis' website about their Hydros Superfine line:

"An excellent fly line choice for spring creeks, slow moving, and clear water situations where stealth and technical expertise are at a premium. Even the color is designed with stealth in mind."

Then my question to Orvis would be this: If that color (willow) is so great, why don't you use it on your other lines?
Yeah, my honest opinion is, like others have stated, it is more about marketing than anything regarding current fly line colors.

I don't think any color fly line will save you from a bad presentation.

The one thing that does baffle me is, if the research previously linked to on this thread was accurate, why wouldn't fly line companies market the white fly lines as superior, I mean, if it is legitimately more stealthy to have a white or grey fly line and it was something you could prove, one would think they would promote it as such and therefore utilize that info as marketing. They either don't feel the same way or are too scared to try and promote a white line as being stealthy.

Just like the question of how many licks it takes to get to a center of a lollipop, we may never know LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a dark olive Cortland line about 10 years ago, but remember it like it happened yesterday. The trees were dark olive, and the river I was fishing in was dark olive. Even my Wooly Bugger was olive. Needless to say, I couldn't see that line in the air or on the water, and was nearly driven to madness for the 30 minutes I used it. I use SA's light green lines. I can see them easily, and they look natural enough that I don't worry about it. I'm much more concerned with wading carefully, and not slapping line on the water. I also tend to use 9' (and longer) leaders, even with streamers. My wife splashes through the water like it was the landing at Normandy, talks WAY too loudly, and slaps her line hard on the water. She catches lots of fish.
Guest1 and kwb like this.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I wish I could still get the SA Aircel Supreme in Ivory. Those lines were thinner than the modern lines, cast beautifully, and were easy to follow.

I photographed ten floating flylines in ultraviolet light. Nine of them reflected 30% +/- 10% of the UV light. This seemed like a good thing, a moderate image after dark. One of the lines absorbed all but 5% (approximately) of the UV. This, IMO, would stand out, it would also degrade quickly in sunlight. Fortunately, this was a $12 line from the big box store.

http://overmywaders.com