The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camo fly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface film View Post
Hope that sarcastic response was not aimed at me, I simply was quoting what SA stated in their response...
It was just pointing out that your comment backed up my comment. It was not sacastic and if it bunched your panties......
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
It was just pointing out that your comment backed up my comment. It was not sacastic and if it bunched your panties......
Typically rollyeyes would be considered sarcastic, I assure you, I could care less, just wanted to keep the peace...

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Some good info here...

Color Vision in Trout Eyes | Trout University
Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Rio was kind enough to respond to the inquiry today as well.

Well, even a perfectly clear line will throw a shadow on the water or on the bottom of the river. I would always argue that for the best presentation, you should keep from placing your fly line directly over the top of the fish where a colored line OR a shadow can blow your opportunity, period. That said, I think the bigger issue with very light colored lines is visibility for the angler. Most anglers prefer darker or brighter colored lines ( opposed to clear or very light colors ) simply because they are much easier to see in the air when casting and gauging distances to the target. Light colored lines simply do not sell as well, and I believe for that reason alone. I remember SA use to make a bonefish line that was very light in color ( white/gray ) and it was about impossible to see when casting on the flats. RIO made a tropical clouser line that was light blue, same deal, impossible to see once it was airborne. And, if you canít see your line, itís hard to accurately judge the distances needed for an accurate and quality presentation. For what itís worth, my thoughts on the subject of line colorJ. Have a great evening!
Kind regards,
Chris Andersen

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

In case anyone is confused why I posted under 2 different usernames, I could not log into "kwb" for quite some time, kept saying my password was wrong when I would type it, I knew I was right.

I then made a different username as I didn't know what else to do, it was a couple weeks later when I finally realized one of the keys on my keyboard had stopped working, a key that was in my password, hence why my password which I thought I was entering completely, didn't work.

New keyboard, problem solved, requested the other username be deleted.

Nobody likely cares, but didn't want it to appear as if I had an agenda by using different usernames.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Rio line is still around. At least it has not sold out if they stopped making it. Just say several on flea bay. I have the old Rio lazy sink intermediate sinking line and it's light blue. I see it fine. One of my favorite lines. I have three different white Trevor Morgan fly lines and don't really have trouble seeing them in the air either. They might not be as easy as optic orange to see but they are far from impossible to see. I almost forgot, I have several really light colored SA lines. I have a really light blue Tarpon taper, a bonefish taper that is almost white with a hint of tan and a really old white Bass line I forget who made it. I have never really had a problem seeing them in the air.

I also have several orange to optic orange lines that I don't really think cause problems either. My Pike lines are Orange and it's a color Pike see so you would think lining them with it might not be good, but I have never seen any evidence that it is a bad thing to line them with it. But that's Pike. Maybe trout might not enjoy being lined with a bright orange line.

I have a camera case that is good to 330' deep and scuba gear so next summer I think I will try a couple of experiments with low angle shots and lines against the sky etc. Being in complete control of the experiments and with proper editing I'm sure I can make me look right.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I think the Rio line is still around. At least it has not sold out if they stopped making it. Just say several on flea bay. I have the old Rio lazy sink intermediate sinking line and it's light blue. I see it fine. One of my favorite lines. I have three different white Trevor Morgan fly lines and don't really have trouble seeing them in the air either. They might not be as easy as optic orange to see but they are far from impossible to see. I almost forgot, I have several really light colored SA lines. I have a really light blue Tarpon taper, a bonefish taper that is almost white with a hint of tan and a really old white Bass line I forget who made it. I have never really had a problem seeing them in the air.

I also have several orange to optic orange lines that I don't really think cause problems either. My Pike lines are Orange and it's a color Pike see so you would think lining them with it might not be good, but I have never seen any evidence that it is a bad thing to line them with it. But that's Pike. Maybe trout might not enjoy being lined with a bright orange line.

I have a camera case that is good to 330' deep and scuba gear so next summer I think I will try a couple of experiments with low angle shots and lines against the sky etc. Being in complete control of the experiments and with proper editing I'm sure I can make me look right.

I would LOVE to see your photos with your camera, good stuff!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Some years back in the era of film, I was working on an article about fly line color for one of the the big outdoor sports magazines. The art director thought it would be cool to have a photograph of floating lines from the fish's perspective. I took the editor's bag full of different colored lines to a medium sized trout stream that was running nice and clear and, in a run upstream from a bridge, rigged a stout nylon cord from one bank across to the other. I uncoiled a good amount of line from each and tied the rest of the coiled line to the cord so they ran downstream parallel to one another...must have been a dozen ranging from white to olive to bright orange. I went up on the bridge and photographed them from above with a normal 35mm Nikon SLR, that was easy and colorful too. Then I waded about with an underwater camera. Back then cameras were manual focusing and exposure setting so a good degree of experimentation (guess work) was involved so I shoot a lot and with different ASA slide film. The results I got, after considerable editing, were not too surprising. The surface shots showed all color lines are adequately to highly visible in sunlight and the sub-surface photographs showed largely equal opaque darker silhouettes against the sky except where the riffling current pushed a bit of line subsurface where its color was visible. My conclusion was that despite the fact that sticks and leaves and strands of grass are always floating about, try to keep your line from floating over fish and you are better off. When false casting, cast away from your riser to avoid a flash of light or water droplets from your line appearing in his window then redirect your presentation cast towards your targeted fish. With proper approach the color line you are using should not matter at all and I have fished bright orange instructor lines perfectly effectively though aesthetically I prefer medium value tan, olive and blue lines. Ultimately, the taper design, weight distribution and optimal complimenting the rod you are fishing trumps line color.
kwb likes this.