The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod

You say the rod is soft and you can tell that by casting a 5 wt line on it.....but what I don't get is the problem? With the 5 wt line, is the rod folding up on you with only a few feet of line out?

What is the rod NOT DOING that you want it to do?

A long time ago a fellow member here asked me if I liked casting off the tip of the rod or casting from the mid section. I didn't understand the question right away, but as I thought about it, I found that casting off the tip produces less feel and control for me than using the flex of the rod as my friend...and feeling the rod load deeply is enjoyable for me.

I have a 7'6" very slow glass 6wt and I still over line that rod. That rod is never cast over about 30 feet and like the way it feels loaded down the length of the rod.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Being a "No Name" blank, it may not be what they say it is. Heck, even with a "Real Name" blank it's probably not what they say it is. I've got rods that are from 1 less than they say to 2 1/2 more than they say. I'd first thing check to see what weight it really is. Then think about a line.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Yes, the Cortland Sylk will work. I use that on my slow Superfine.

Randy
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Shark Skin girl and love that half size bigger in the GPX, but one other line I have and use is the Orvis Superfine. This line blows SYLK away in my opinion ;-) It is a wonderfully smaller diameter line that is very easy to cast in wind, and mend on the most complicated currents.
And it is on sale for a killer price right now.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My fishin' partner normally fishes Sylk lines on his bamboo rods, but for some reason last summer he had a Sylk line on a graphite. Don't know what kind, but he's not into "fast".
It was painful for me to sit behind him in the canoe and witness him struggling to get a cast off.
I finely got feed up watching and made him change lines.

Just sayin'
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Read and then check your rod with the Common Cents System. It's not hard and will give you what you want.
The Common Cents System
Old 01-20-2013, 12:16 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
And it is on sale for a killer price right now.
Thanks for the suggestion. Where are you seeing it on sale???

Lee
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I can't find it now...sorry.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Read and then check your rod with the Common Cents System. It's not hard and will give you what you want.
The Common Cents System
So the ERN came out to 3.5. So even though this is "supposed" to be a 5 wt, should I be lining it with a 4 wt line?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

If you have a local fly shop around, you could just take the rod there and ask to try out a few lines on it. I have a winston b2t 9' 5wt and I have a SA Mastery Textured series Trout Stalker on it. I love it.

Best bet would be to actually try 4 and 5 weight lines of your choice on there. Most fly shops 'should' let you cast lines. A lot of them have reels spooled up and ready to go.