The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/308380-recommended-fly-line-slow-moderate-slow-rod.html)

whalensdad 01-19-2013 08:04 AM

Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod

I built my first rod over Christmas. It was a 7'6" 5wt no-name blank and I didn't know or think to check the action of the blank before I purchased it. So now I'm stuck with trying to determine what to line it with. Most lines indicate that they are designed for fast rods, so I'm looking for recommendations for my rod.

Thanks,
Lee

littledavid123 01-19-2013 08:34 AM

Re: Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod

Might think about the Mastery Series WF GPX. But personally, I would hope for a response from sweetandsalt or send him a PM. :)

Dave

randyflycaster 01-19-2013 08:37 AM

Today, because of the popularity of fast fly rods, most fly lines are manufactured a bit on the heavy side, so a 5-weight fly line is really a 5 1/2-weight line.

For your fly rod I would look for a line that weighs true to the orginal line-weight specifications. You'll probably have to call fly line companies to find such a line.

(Try Hardy lines.)

Randy

wt bash 01-19-2013 08:47 AM

I'd think about a DT or a Triangle Taper from Wulff.

sandfly 01-19-2013 08:53 AM

cortland sylk matches nicly with the softer rods as does the Rio mainstream series..

jaybo41 01-19-2013 08:56 AM

If you don't know the action of the rod you purchased, is it possible to talk with someone where you purchased the blank and confirm which type of action it might be? Do you have other rods that you know the action of that you might be able to compare to?

Rip Tide 01-19-2013 08:56 AM

Hook and Hackle "high floater"
similar to the 444 peach, but cheaper

whalensdad 01-19-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybo41 (Post 517983)
If you don't know the action of the rod you purchased, is it possible to talk with someone where you purchased the blank and confirm which type of action it might be? Do you have other rods that you know the action of that you might be able to compare to?

The rods already built and I've been casting it with the 5wt line I use on another rod, that's how I can tell it is soft (as well as had others give me their opinions :) )

jaybo41 01-19-2013 10:34 AM

I wasn't sure from your initial post what type of rod you were looking to line, hence my questions. Now that I know what you're looking for, I can say that my slowest rod, the 380-3 Winston WT casts really nicely with Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical DT line. In WF, Rio Gold is a favorite of mine that seems to pair well with rods that like true line weights.

I've heard very good things about the Hook & Hackle lines. As I understand it, they're made by Cortland.

Sweetandsalt did a through review of SA's Textured Trout Stalker line that is also worth a read.

Edit: Thanks for posting the link Larry, I guess I got kind of lazy. :p

mcnerney 01-19-2013 10:50 AM

Here is the thread that Jay is talking about. This just might be what you are looking for, as Jay said, definitely worth a read:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ut-review.html