The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough
Default Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod

I built my first rod over Christmas. It was a 7'6" 5wt no-name blank and I didn't know or think to check the action of the blank before I purchased it. So now I'm stuck with trying to determine what to line it with. Most lines indicate that they are designed for fast rods, so I'm looking for recommendations for my rod.

Thanks,
Lee
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommended Fly Line for a Slow/Moderate Slow Rod

Might think about the Mastery Series WF GPX. But personally, I would hope for a response from sweetandsalt or send him a PM.

Dave
Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Today, because of the popularity of fast fly rods, most fly lines are manufactured a bit on the heavy side, so a 5-weight fly line is really a 5 1/2-weight line.

For your fly rod I would look for a line that weighs true to the orginal line-weight specifications. You'll probably have to call fly line companies to find such a line.

(Try Hardy lines.)

Randy
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'd think about a DT or a Triangle Taper from Wulff.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

cortland sylk matches nicly with the softer rods as does the Rio mainstream series..
mcnerney likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't know the action of the rod you purchased, is it possible to talk with someone where you purchased the blank and confirm which type of action it might be? Do you have other rods that you know the action of that you might be able to compare to?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hook and Hackle "high floater"
similar to the 444 peach, but cheaper
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
If you don't know the action of the rod you purchased, is it possible to talk with someone where you purchased the blank and confirm which type of action it might be? Do you have other rods that you know the action of that you might be able to compare to?
The rods already built and I've been casting it with the 5wt line I use on another rod, that's how I can tell it is soft (as well as had others give me their opinions )
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't sure from your initial post what type of rod you were looking to line, hence my questions. Now that I know what you're looking for, I can say that my slowest rod, the 380-3 Winston WT casts really nicely with Airflo Ridge Supple Tactical DT line. In WF, Rio Gold is a favorite of mine that seems to pair well with rods that like true line weights.

I've heard very good things about the Hook & Hackle lines. As I understand it, they're made by Cortland.

Sweetandsalt did a through review of SA's Textured Trout Stalker line that is also worth a read.

Edit: Thanks for posting the link Larry, I guess I got kind of lazy.
mcnerney likes this.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-19-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the thread that Jay is talking about. This just might be what you are looking for, as Jay said, definitely worth a read:
Scientific Angler Mastery Textured Trout A Review
jaybo41 likes this.