Maintaining a Silk Fly Line/ Bamboo wont seat

nrp5087

Reaction score
Okay so I recently bought two pfluegers and one has old silk line on it... I took it to the local fly shop and was told that it is good shape and usable so i figure ill use it and have a totally old school set up with my bamboo. What all is required for the maintenance of this line type? I bought the Animal fat stuff for the line anything else required?

Second part:
My Hardy bamboo wont seat properly... I tried using a paper towel to remove some oxidation but it is still about a 1/4 in out of the furl. Any suggestions? Last resort is take it to a pro

rockriver

Reaction score
If it's really tarnished bad, I'd try some 0000 steel wool on both sides. I'm no expert on this; so, it could be a bad idea. It's just what I'd do if I had it.

wt bash

Reaction score
Use the finest steel wool you can and take a few passes and try it, keep doing that till you have about a 1/16th of male showing. Thats done to save material for down the road oxidization and normal wear. If you've not don't it before I would seriously consider a pro but if your take your time and try refitting it constantly you should be okay.

nrp5087

Reaction score
Yes I ahve tried cleaning both ends male and female with a paper towel and Q-tips but there is still 1/4 in not seating

nrp5087

Reaction score
I got alot of oxidation out with the cotton but i need that extra little bit so Ill probably take it to an expert so I dont mess it up...

Anything about the Line?

wt bash

Reaction score
Make a noodle of steel wool to clean out the female and rinse it with alcohol. If there is any unseen burr (fairly common on older ferrules) the cotton with catch and you'll never seat the ferrule correctly and end up over lapping the male to compensate. This is how they should look when seated properly as I was shown. You can see that 1/16th gap of unlapped male ferrule, its not much but believe it or not it will help in giving the ferrules a longer life.

Can't help with the silk line though but I did find this Silk Fly Lines what's listed there is basically all the reasons I don't use silk. I still think its pretty cool but I'm too lazy.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't help with the silk line though but I did find this Silk Fly Lines what's listed there is basically all the reasons I don't use silk. I still think its pretty cool but I'm too lazy.
Good advice here...If the line is old check if it's not"rotten" or on the contrary dry and stiff for it may break while fishing.Take it out of the reel,clean it and grease it several times .If it's a parallel one I advise you to you to cut the first yards which are usually worn out;)
not sure what I said is clear enough...have a look here too..
Fly Fishing History: Refinishing old silk lines
Over My Waders

overmywaders

Reaction score
Regarding the silk line, first determine that it is silk, lots of oiled Nylon lines were sold. Hold a burning match to the end, if it is silk, there will only be ash, if it is Nylon, it will form a hard lump. Nylon lines are typically not worth restoring.

If it is silk and very dirty, with no discernible finish left, or is stuck together, I would do the baking soda cleaning, which strips the finish off without harming the silk. Many people have in the past twenty years used this method with no complaints - Purchasing, Cleaning, Restoring, and Care of Old Silk Fly Lines

Good luck. If it is a good silk line, you may get another thirty years of fishing from it.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

About the bamboo ferrules, steel wool is a last resort. Ferrules are lapped with either a lapping stone or a lapping file, and that is fussy work. You need to know why the ferrule is not seating, is the female crimped a bit, or the male out of round? Lots of possibilities.

Fishermen who started with graphite sometimes don't understand that unlike graphite ferrules, you never turn a NS ferrule as you are assembling the rod. The cane rod maker will typically stamp small register marks on male and female ferrules. Use a straight push with hands close together and the registry marks aligned.

If you still find that the fit leaves more than a 1/8" gap, rub the male ferrule with a candle stub and try again. The hard wax may allow it to mate better. (You can also use a candle stub for ferrules that are too loose from age.)

Good luck.

nrp5087

Reaction score
I took the line to a local guy who is knowledgeable in bamboo rods. He originally thought the line was one of the first polyester lines but later believed it was silk and it is very good condition not sticking together just has some dust on the line... I will do the lighter test though.

He also explained to me about the never twisting when putting the rod together and taking it apart. As for the Ferules I am planning on taking it to the Feathered Hook off Penns Creek to have them get the ferules to seat.

Thanks for the links and advice guys I cant wait to fish the bamboo.

charged

Reaction score
Your post reminds me of one I made on another board.

Quoted:

"I arrived on scene equipped with an old vintage "American Fork and Hoe" steel fly rod, and a Pflueger Gem all wound up with some old silk fly line that might be close to 40 years old (Now that I think about it, its probably even 10-20 years older, its amazing how durable that stuff is), and a pocket full of some home brewed flies. I was out there for about 1 1/2 hours, and was lucky enough to land about 35-40 fish. Here are a few pics of the big ones . ........ :wink:

It was still a nice therapeutic way to spend a Wednesday evening. No monsters tonight, maybe next time. I did miss a really nice sized carp, that surfaced for my fly."

I'll have to look for the links I used to restore the line, I'm sure I still have them tucked away somewhere. Restoring, and fishing the old silk line was both an enjoyable, and rewarding experience. I recently purchased another silk fly line, and hope to be restoring it soon. I'll now look for the links I used to restore this first one.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Edit: I used the same link that was already posted.

Over My Waders

Another post I made on the subject from a few years ago, that goes into a little more detail, I did not think it was that long ago..... It's amazing how fast time can fly.

Fiberglass Flyrodders • Best way to restore a Silk Fly Line?

I hope these links may help you Nrp5087, and that a late response is better than no response.

PS Nrp5087: I wish you luck with that line, from first hand experience it can be worth the extra effort required to maintain it.

Last edited:

glcaddis

Reaction score
One other thing you might want to check about your silk line is to determine the taper. If it is a level line, you may want to consider whether or not it is something you want to fish with. Level lines are not easy casting and tend to be clunky at dropping the fly. It is turns out to be a DT line, congratulations, you've got a friend for many years.