The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Maintaining a Silk Fly Line/ Bamboo wont seat

Okay so I recently bought two pfluegers and one has old silk line on it... I took it to the local fly shop and was told that it is good shape and usable so i figure ill use it and have a totally old school set up with my bamboo. What all is required for the maintenance of this line type? I bought the Animal fat stuff for the line anything else required?

Second part:
My Hardy bamboo wont seat properly... I tried using a paper towel to remove some oxidation but it is still about a 1/4 in out of the furl. Any suggestions? Last resort is take it to a pro
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Maintaining a Silk Fly Line/ Bamboo wont seat

If it's really tarnished bad, I'd try some 0000 steel wool on both sides. I'm no expert on this; so, it could be a bad idea. It's just what I'd do if I had it.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Use the finest steel wool you can and take a few passes and try it, keep doing that till you have about a 1/16th of male showing. Thats done to save material for down the road oxidization and normal wear. If you've not don't it before I would seriously consider a pro but if your take your time and try refitting it constantly you should be okay.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp5087 View Post
My Hardy bamboo wont seat properly... I tried using a paper towel to remove some oxidation but it is still about a 1/4 in out of the furl. Any suggestions? Last resort is take it to a pro
Did you by any chance try cleaning the female part?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM

Yes I ahve tried cleaning both ends male and female with a paper towel and Q-tips but there is still 1/4 in not seating
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Cotton won't do it.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM

I got alot of oxidation out with the cotton but i need that extra little bit so Ill probably take it to an expert so I dont mess it up...

Anything about the Line?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

maybe put both ends in a container with some TSP?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Make a noodle of steel wool to clean out the female and rinse it with alcohol. If there is any unseen burr (fairly common on older ferrules) the cotton with catch and you'll never seat the ferrule correctly and end up over lapping the male to compensate. This is how they should look when seated properly as I was shown. You can see that 1/16th gap of unlapped male ferrule, its not much but believe it or not it will help in giving the ferrules a longer life.

Click the image to open in full size.

Can't help with the silk line though but I did find this Silk Fly Lines what's listed there is basically all the reasons I don't use silk. I still think its pretty cool but I'm too lazy.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Can't help with the silk line though but I did find this Silk Fly Lines what's listed there is basically all the reasons I don't use silk. I still think its pretty cool but I'm too lazy.
Good advice here...If the line is old check if it's not"rotten" or on the contrary dry and stiff for it may break while fishing.Take it out of the reel,clean it and grease it several times .If it's a parallel one I advise you to you to cut the first yards which are usually worn out
not sure what I said is clear enough...have a look here too..
Fly Fishing History: Refinishing old silk lines
Over My Waders