Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kwb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM

edwardo is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for line for a 7 wt.

I'm looking for a WF fly line for my new 7wt - 9' rod; it will be used on an Allen Alpha II reel and will be used mainly for bass and crappie on ponds and small rivers/streams. The rod is a Ross Essence FW. I'm thinking of overlining it with 8wt line, as I am not too proficient a caster; or 7 wt, what do you think? I'm leaning towards a bass taper line; but which one?

Thanks,

Eddie
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for line for a 7 wt.

Rio Freshwater Outbound Short

Rick
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Scientific Anglers Textured Mag Taper is a great one, check eBay as well, may find a Bass taper on the cheap which would be great as well.

Do NOT overline, no reason too, especially with an already heavy Bass bug line...
mi_trouter likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM

standman is on a distinguished road

I've tried several bass tapers, Cortland, Orvis, Rio, SA, Bass Pro and, other than the Bass Pro line, they've all worked well. Of them all, I have had the best success with the Cortland 333 Bass taper. In fact, it's my line of choice for fishing bass and panfish with my fiberglass rods.

Another less expensive line you might check out is the SA Headstart. It is weighted a little heavier than the rating (a 7 wgt would be closer to a 7.5 wgt) and has a very forgiving front taper. It helps the novice caster become a more successful caster.

Regarding overlining the rod, that's a personal choice. I sometimes overline to slow down the rod or to power through wind, but I don't generally. Instead, I would use a different rod.