The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM

grundy is on a distinguished road
Default Floating line sinks?

Firstly, I'm pretty green so please bear with me.

The last time I fly fished, my WF5F line was starting to sink at the tip where the leader is attached. The leader is attached to the flyline with a nail knot. Is it possible for a floating fly line to take on water and sink?

I also ended up having to cut over a foot off the fly line before using it because the "family" cat ate the end of it. How would cutting off a foot of fly line from the end of the aformentioned line affect casting? Last year was my first few times fly fishing mostly for bluegills, and it seemed to cast ok.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Floating line sinks?

Welcome to the forum. Yes it is possible to take on water. Where the line was cut off it has the core exposed. Try a drop of super glue or Aquaseal on the end when it is good and dry. Then clean and slick the line. That should hopefully take care of it.

wt bash likes this.

Last edited by Guest1; 01-30-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Yeah like Dan said, if you dont use the pre made loop like a lot of people, just a dab of superglue is what I usually do.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

A heay wieghted fly will pull the tip under if your in deep water.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Also, make sure the line and leader are straight and clean. Coils in either will break the surface tension and promote sinking.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:46 PM

What would be the effects of cutting a foot or so off the end of the fly line?

Thanks,
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

you probally dont nedd to cut it just make sure it is dry and seal the end. If you do cut it I dont think you will see any difference with just a foot. If it still sinks try a little floatant on the end.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundy View Post
What would be the effects of cutting a foot or so off the end of the fly line?

Thanks,
If you're asking how does cutting a foot off the end affect the casting? I'm guessing here but I don't think it would make much difference in the way the line will cast.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to popular belief, all DT and WF lines do not taper all the way to the end. They have a section of level line at the end called the TIP that allows for fly fishers to repeatedly tie leaders to the end of the fly line without getting back to the taper of the line. The length of this level tip of line varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some manufacturers have a very short tip and other manufacturers have a long tip. Usually they are 6-12 inches long.

Click the image to open in full size.

So cutting back on the tip of a fly line by 6 or so inches will not necessarily affect the taper of the fly line. What it will do will make the fly line actually better able to turn over the leader because it brings the taper section of the line closer to the beginning of the leader. Cutting most of the tip section off and nail knotting a stout section of mono to a short tip section for a loop to loop connection to the leader optimizes leader turnover.

In fact if you regularly make short casts and have difficulty turning over the leader, cut the tip section off and you will be able to turn those short cast leaders over more easily. The leader will turn over even more easily if you cut further into the front taper. So cutting off some of the taper is not always a bad thing. It all depends on what you want to do.

Note: Some fly lines like Scientific Anglers lines have only a very short tip section which should not be cut off unless you want to cut off a section of the front taper.

Do an internet search for the profile or your fly line to see if you cut off any of the taper.

Regarding the sinking tip. The cause is probably not water seeping into the core. Leon Chandler of Cortland line addressed this issue long ago. Cortland tested how much water entered the braided core of fly lines many years ago and found that very little seeped in and not enough to sink the tip.

I would clean and prep the tip with line treatment.

If the line is clean and treated and still sinks, the fly line you are using is probably not a density compensated fly line. It has been made with older technology.

A floating fly line floats because of the material between the fly line core and coating is made with a material that has micro bubbles. This layer gets thinner as the line tapers. The tip contains the thinnest layer of the material that floats the line.

There are density compensated floating and sinking lines to float the tip evenly with the body or to sink the tip evenly with the body. In density compensated floating fly lines, more bubbles are added to the material as the line tapers, and in sinking lines more tungsten or lead.

With older technology in the cheaper fly lies, there is no density compensation; and the tips sink, because there are not enough bubbles between the core and coating to float the line.

1move likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 01-31-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM

Good explanations. I think its probably a cheap line. I bought a Cabelas combo last year. I believe its Prestige fly line. It floated nice the first few times out then started to sink. I bet the line is dirty.

Thanks,

B