The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Atlantic salmon line help

Moucheur, The two rods I have used most salmon fishing, mostly on the Gaspe but New Brunswick too, are a brace of 8-weights; a G.Loomis GLX 10'/#8 and a Sage RPL 9'6"/#8 both rigged with the #8 SA Salmon/Steelhead extended head line. There have been others; a Rodon Boron/Graphite from 1979, an Orvis Western 10'/#7 from about 1985 and a Scott from the 1990's but the 1987 (approx.) RPL for power and the 1990's GLX for feel have been my favorites.
moucheur2003 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

S&S, my IMX is a 9 footer. I recently got a 10' TFO Pro 9 weight when that series was discontinued, just to see if I liked the extra length. (A 10' 9 weight is a pretty hefty rod, and I think I like it better for stripers and bluefish in the wind than for river fishing.)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I once bought a 10'/#9 IMX and took it, brand new, to the Nippisiguit R. flowing into the Gulf de St. Lawrence in October. It was the last week of the season and there was a good chill in the air. I had sat as the back seat passenger on the long ride up to camp and, upon arrival, did I stretch out and warm up? No. I joined up the new rod, pulled on the neoprenes and waded out into the fine run in front of camp. On my first big stroke with this powerful rod I heard and felt a .22 caliber round go off in my elbow. I had ruptured a cold, stiff interior extensor tendon in my casting arm. It felt worse with each cast, I went to a lighter rod, it still hurt like hell, I soaked it in good whiskey that evening, the days are short in the North Country in Autumn and even that failed to help. I tried everything, I gave the rod away to a bigger, stronger salmon fishing friend - he loves it to this day, I went to physical therapy, ultrasound, hot clay therapy, you name it. It would feel better during the winter and as I began to fish for trout but the first striped bass of early spring on a bigger rod and pow, I'd be hurting again.

It happens, one of my bonefishing buddies is a hand surgeon and on our annual April group foray to the southern Bahamas he would bring cortisone to shoot me up with to help me make it trough the trip. Ten years ago he said, enough! At the end of the season you are coming to my clinic and we are cutting this elbow open. There was nothing but grey gush where my tendon should have been; completely separated and atrophied it never was going to heal. He screwed in titanium anchors wove #100 braided nylon through the remnants of tendon and tied off at the anchor points and put me in a hard cast for a couple of winter months. "Come April you can cast but nothing over 8-weight...no tarpon fishing." (He allowed 8-weight as he wanted us to fish Acklins together.) Once fully healed, my right elbow became the best, most pain-free joint in my body.

The fact is, if I may be self-critical, that besides being cold and stiff, my timing was a bit off with this unfamiliar 10 footer and this combination was responsible for my injury. I had plenty of time to think about this while wearing a green fiberglass armpit to wrist cast. I decided that, even in warm weather, I would perform tendon stretches in both arms prior to fishing and I would critically evaluate and work on refining my casting technique. Not only have I become a slightly better caster but I understand the dynamic components of casting better now than before my injury (I am self taught like most of my grey haired generation of fly fishers and developed casting habits in my youth that are well ingrained). I teach casting twice a month and my increasingly analytical approach to my own casting has made me a better instructor. One issue is that, as my insight into the casting dynamic deepens, so does my critical analysis of fly rod action where I am increasingly convinced that there are objectively ascertainable criteria determining fly rod performance which is fundamentally at odds with the prevalent view that personal taste in rod action is the most relevant determinant in new rod choice. This, however, is a Forum subject that needs its own thread.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
(He allowed 8-weight as he wanted us to fish Acklins together.)
.......... Ha!