The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM
deathwish

Default Atlantic salmon line help

Running 9wt BVK.What line would be best to fish atlantic salmon on mirimichi river? brand and would you go with floating,shooting tip,sinking tip?? I am new to the fly fishing sport so am a little lost with all the info online with brands ,types ect.Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Atlantic salmon line help

Any of the nice, expensive name brand lines in a salmon/steelhead WF taper will do you just fine. Or just a standard WF line. By and large, if you are fishing the Miramichi in the summer/fall, its floating line time. Spring is for sink tips and full sinkers. Sometimes in the fall, some use sink tips. I don't.

Good luck out there,
Gary

P.S. If you would like to see lots and lots of Miramichi fishing and fly photos, go to my blog.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

What Gary said. IF it was me, I'd go with possibly a Rio Gold WF9F or even a Cortland 444SL WF9F line (mint green). I think the BVK is dark green? These two lines are general purpose and the colors would go nice.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I love my Orvis 9wt Hydros line. WF floating is the way to go.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:31 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

A floating line with an extended head and very long rear taper for nice smooth long casts with excellent loop stability. SA Mastery Salmon/Sreelhead Taper or similar Expert Distance Taper, Cortland "Boss", RIO Gold (does RIO still make their Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon line?) all are first rate lines for swimming a Green Machine.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
A floating line with an extended head and very long rear taper for nice smooth long casts with excellent loop stability. SA Mastery Salmon/Sreelhead Taper or similar Expert Distance Taper, Cortland "Boss", RIO Gold (does RIO still make their Steelhead & Atlantic Salmon line?) all are first rate lines for swimming a Green Machine.
You might reconsider the SA Expert Distance line. The running line is so thin it does not have the floatation of other, more fishable fly lines with a long head and or rear taper.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:40 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of

Jackster, I did not realize that Expert Disance had unusualy thin running line. Not that I have miced it or anything...but as you know, it is a great control-the-fly and mending line.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 AM
deathwish

It's a little over welming to say the least for a rookie.I went into pro shop yesterday and was suggested by 3 staff to try 3 different lines. Seems from rifles to bows everything has changed soooo much.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Unlike the fly shop, here in the Forum we are not trying to sell you anything, just advising. The list I compiled above is based on Atlantic salmon fishing basics: the extended head and long rear taper facilitates nice long straight casts that are easily mended to alter the swim of your fly and to not hinge in the process (because of the long rear taper). Yes, rods can be sensitive to different lines but your BVK would be happy with any of the lines mentioned in my initial post as it likes a little extra weight and with the long belly you are feeding this rods appetite.

Mastery Series Steelhead - Mastery Series - Lines
wannafish likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

I have been fishing for Atlantic salmon for many years, although not on the Miramichi. It's a rare and specialized circumstance when I've seen anyone use anything other than a WF. I agree with Gary and sweetandsalt that a long-belly, forward taper floater (such as the "salmon/steelhead' model that several makers offer) is what you want. Most fishing will be quartering across and down on a wet-fly swing, and the long belly helps you mend line and control the swing at longer distances. You can't really go wrong with any of the major names. When I buy a new one I usually buy whatever brand I can find on clearance.

At the moment I happen to have an SA Mastery salmon/steelhead line in a WF9 and a Mastery Expert Distance in a WF8. I use them on a Loomis IMX 8 weight rod (a relatively fast rod), and they both work fine for my purposes. It's the long belly, not the running line, that matters. It's only if you have a lot of running line out beyond the front taper that you will find your swing difficult to mend, but that will be true regardless of the brand or model. On my rod the 9 weight line is a little easier to cast and feel on a windy day, while the 8 is more fun on a calm day for long, precise casts. I have tried the BVK and find it to be a little slower rod, so if you have a long-belly line on it anyway you may not find much further benefit in overlining it too.