The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:36 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Another shooting head thread....

So the premise for my question is this...

I want to fish the harbors of Lake Michigan for king salmon this year when they are in doing their thing. Typically, I usually throw my spinning gear but I really want to use the fly rod this year.

In order to be successful with spinning gear, I have had the most success with a crankbait that dives around 15 feet to be the absolute ticket. For whatever reason, at least where I fish, that seems to be the most productive depth.

So how do I get a fly down that deep and keep it there for the longest duration possible? An easy answer seems like it would be a sinking line but the thought of casting a full sink line 100' seems like an exhausting effort.

So this brings me to a shooting head set up and few questions

1. I get the shooting head part....what I don't entirely understand is the running line. I have read that mono, braid, or even fluoro carbon can be used. If I understand this right, that would mean that my fly reel would have hundreds of yards of mono (as an example) that would be attached to the shooting head. This is it?

2. Once again, if this I understand this correctly, how does one actually strip the fly in? Or do they? Are shooting heads not really meant for stripping? My concern here is lets say I have a 30' shooting head, make a 100' cast, and 20 feet into the retrieve, I get a fish...I now have 50 feet of mono at my feet that the fish will rip through the guides. Until he is on the reel, what happens to my fingers?!

3. If this is right, obviously gloves would be a requirement so.....is this right?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:53 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another shooting head thread....

I use 100' of cortland braided mono for running line and add different cortland LC13 leadcore heads to that to get down different depths. behind the running line is your backing. you can wear a light glove if you want to, I have never needed to use one. you let the line slip through your fingers lightly just enough pressure to keep some tension on the fish, at same time reel in line..mono running line come in 100' spools also problem with most you have to stretch them to get the kinks out before casting with the braid you don't have to stretch it.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the response.

I never thought of using leadcore for a head - does the lack of a taper have any effect on the cast?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you need to get 15' you could do it with a longer leader and a sinking head and a weighted fly. I get that deep with a two hand rod, floating line, 15' leader and clouser.