The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road
Default Too much backing line or Too much fly line?

It's one or the other, I bought a new rod & reel combo that also came with the backing line and fly line coiled up in the reel, the problem I see is that when the fly line is all coiled in the line drags on the inside of the reel, and when extending the line out it drags, what should I do, cut the back of the fly line or cut some of the front of the backing line. I'm guessing about 1' to 2' of line that needs to go!

Also does anybody no what line they throw on a Redington 9' 5w rod, the guy at G-Mountain didn't know, he said it's definetly WF, it's green, I don't know the brand, taper, nor the weight
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Too much backing line or Too much fly line?

First I'd make sure it's being evenly distributed from left to right when wound. If not, that'll cause high spots and pillar rub.

If it were me, I'd remove some of the backing so long as there is sufficient backing left. Think of it this way, fly lines cost a lot more per foot than backing and backing is lot easier to splice together than fly line. If you err, do so with the backing.

I haven't a clue who made the line that came with the outfit.

Best, TT
Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 PM

pabrown_yb245 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Too much backing line or Too much fly line?

Thanks TT

There's a ton of backing there, so backing it is

Thanks
Steve
Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

I'am fairly new to the sport but I have never heard anyone suggest cutting the fly line to reduce bulk on a reel. If you do anything, reduce the amount of backing. The other alternative is to get a larger reel that would balance with your rod. Do you require the amount of backing for the type of fish to go after?Can anyone out there tell me if cutting the line is a solution to the issue posted here or have I totally missed the point?Maybe I can learn something new here.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I cut back my fly line to make room for backing when it comes down to it... but my fly rod goes beyond the trout stream... So i'd rather I have an extra 20-30' of backing than an extra 10' of fly line... especially knowing that I'll never cast 100' of fly line with a 5wt
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

It's been done, but it's not common. One such reason for cutting the line back a bit, is when you have a very small reel with very limited space, mounted on a light outfit. If the known casting distances wouldn't exceed say forty feet and you happened to have a 100' long WF line, you might well determine that lopping off a portion of the running section ( rear section ) of the line would allow you to load it without rubbing the pillars.

Another application, some have cut double taper lines in half. Saving the other half for the day the first section is worn out, this two would allow the loading of a larger line on to a smaller reel. Again, it’s not a mainstream application, but it works for those who need an answer to a line capacity problem.

Where there's a need, there's a solution.
TT

Itchmesir, beat me to it...
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Look at it this way. 100 yards of backing=a football field. Impossible to control any fish that far out w/o chasing it down. Trim the backing.
comeonavs, rubberguy and troutnut4 like this.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Not to mention 30 yards of line as well.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

First off to be real clear I trout fish, so even a 24" bruiser would run what a few hundred feet tops. For me if a reel calls for 80 yards of backing I have them put on 50-55yds. So me I go light on backing. If I fished bigger game I'd opt to have more backing.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM

wichaka is on a distinguished road

On my reels, I only run as much backing so it won't rub the fly line on the reel.

The best way I found, is to spool the fly line first, then spool the backing on top. When it gets close, cut the backing. Unspool, and re-spool the right way...backing then fly line.

The problem with just getting close, when you reel in fast, the line doesn't always distribute evenly, so there's more of a chance of the fly line rubbing. So I keep the backing length short enough so that never happens.
Jackster likes this.