Bride Won a Free SA Fly Line, Help Me Choose

cletus

Reaction score
The bride bought us tickets to the 2013 Fly Fishing Film Tour at the local McMenamin's brew pub (great places by the way) tonight and ended up winning a free Scientific Anglers fly line (she doesn't fish, she just indulges my addiction). I have fished mostly Rio Gold and Wulff TT lines. Probably looking at a 4 or 5 wt WF (Trout or Trout Stalker?) or maybe a streamer or steelhead line. Suggestions? BTW, the show was great, so was the beer!

comeonavs

Reaction score
June will be 10 years sobriety for me, I grew up in a good Irish family where it's all or nothing so I had to go with nothing.

I went to school at University of Oregon and one of my favorite memories was I would drive from Eugene to the coast and play golf the drive up the coast to yachats Oregon and spend the evening with my grandma. I would drive back to Eugene and always hit the Mcmenamins for several jars of Ruby Ale. Man I was broke in college but they had the best micro brews ever.

Anyway your original question SA line, just decide what rod it is going on. Fast or med fast, and size

I have the GPX on my Orvis Hydros 6wt and Zaxis 4wt. I put the trout stalker on all my predominat dry fly rods 3 & 4 wts.

troutnut4

Reaction score
Cletus, I agree with comeonavs, decide which rod (rods) that you want to use it on. I find my rods cast well with the RIO Gold (or SA Trout) in the weight specified by the rod manufacturer. The only exception is my 4wt. VXP. It likes a SA GXP (1/2 wt. heavier) to cast better. :fishing: The owner of my local outfitter tells me that he over-lines all of his rods. That's his opinion. Opinions will vary here due to personal preference.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Congratulations to you and your bride, Cletus.

If you saw my line locker, you’d know that having my choice of any line that S.A. makes, is like offering a fat kid a cookie.
So I’ll have to disqualify myself from giving you advice on this one. Because If it were me, I’d probably go to their line spec pages and pick some ethereal line for a light outfit or something so far off the charts wicked, that it would put a permanent set in a nine weight.

TT

cletus

Reaction score
Sorry, realized I didn't say what rods after the OP. I would be looking for a dry fly line for a 4 wt Winston BIIT or a general purpose line for a 5 wt BIIIX. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

troutnut4

Reaction score
Sorry, realized I didn't say what rods after the OP. I would be looking for a dry fly line for a 4 wt Winston BIIT or a general purpose line for a 5 wt BIIIX. Thanks for the suggestions so far!
Shouldn't be a problem getting answers here. There are a number of experienced people on this forum and a number of them own the same rods.:punk:

comeonavs

Reaction score
If it is any help here is how I am set up

3wt's (TXL,ZXL,Elkhorn) for dries SA Trout Stalker
3wt Sage one Rio Gold (didnt like the way trout stalker felt on it)

4wt TXL Trout Stalker
4wt Zaxis SA GPX
4wt legend ultra SA Mastery Trout (pre trout stalker)

6wt Hydro tip flex SA GPX

I am not familiar enough with those Winstons to advise...

rayzor

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used SA xps #4 on the BIIt(willow colour) very good line , they stopped making it now, I then switched to TT #4which is great and delicate for dries and small nymphs , fishes Nz style well too.

I still have a SA xps which only got used 15 days max , I spooled back up too keep as a back up line.

the TT is a good match for the Biit.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

this might help about the BIIIx....

The Winston Forum - View topic - Line for a BIIIx 9' 5wt rod

:)

stuie675

Reaction score
Mastery Textured is my favorite right now. I have the trout on my Hardy and GPX on my Redington, like them both.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
The GPX is really a hard line to beat, especially when its free. My mom won that same deal last year and I got her some GPX, she loves it.

dillon

Reaction score
I have the Mastery Series Expert Distance line on my 9' 6wt, at SweetandSalts recommendation. It works very well for long distance casting and not bad at short range as well. Coincidently, my wife and I attended the Film Tour in Portland yesterday. She won two Rio Lines of choice. She said I could have one, so I'm thinking 2 Golds for our 5 wts.

cletus

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the Trout Stalker for my 4wt and the GPX for my streamer rod.

Dillon, were you at the 8 o'clock show? The Rio Gold is a great line, I have fished it on 4-7 WTs.

dillon

Reaction score
We were at the 4pm show and had a fun time. I have the Mastery Series Tout on my Scott 4 wt. It's okay but probably wouldn't buy it again. I didn't like the gold on it that much either. I'm replacing the gold on my 5wt. xp. It really performs well on a fast rod.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
See the review of SA Textured Trout Stalker above in General Reviews for your #4 & for the #5, from SA, I would select the Mastery Expert Distance, a superior taper to GPX.

Jackster

Reaction score
If it were me lucky enough to have won it would be a no-brainer, either weight line in the WF Sharkskin Ultimate Trout taper.
Neither of the rods you mentioned need a 1/2 weight crutch line. They are true to their line rating unlike many rods these days.

All I can hope is that you follow my advice and can't get used to your line making noise. You then offer it to me at the same price you paid! ;)

cletus

Reaction score
Sweets dealt, great review!

Jackster, you'll be the first person I contact if I contemplate tossing the line away!

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Dang auto-correct, I meant: sweetandsalt, great review

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Jackster, Except for the longer front taper, aren't the 1st Sharkskin Ultimate Trout and 2nd Textured Trout Stalker quite similar tapers? Sort of compounded sophisticated riffs on our long loved Expert Distance line? I think both these new lines are excellent but, maybe it is the salt in me but Sharkskin is hard on my hands and Textured seems to have most of the same virtues but is easier to handle. Also, RIO has modified the coating technology on both Gold and Grande this winter, if buying Gold, be aware of this.

These are all top choice floating presentation lines but that does not mean each is ideally suited to your personal fly rod. No mater how good the line, comparative testing still is important. As Jackster said though, the Winstons along with, I'll add, Hardy and Sage rods tend to be true to size.

Jackster

Reaction score
In looking at both the Textured and the Sharkskin finishes it appears to me that the Sharkskin would have less surface area touching the blank and guides and so would have less friction for longer and easier casting. I can't say for sure but it appears to me that indents like the Textured lines would catch and trap more dirt that the Sharkskin.
Having used Sharkskin almost exclusively on 4 and 5 weight rods I can say that even after a hard days fishing and stripping line with them that as long as you vary where you strip the line across your fingers you will draw no blood by the end of the day. If you always draw the line across the tender crease inside of your finger joint you are looking for trouble even with smooth lines if algae or salt is present.
Besides. The 'Skin costs more so it must be better! ;)

itchmesir

Reaction score
If it were me lucky enough to have won it would be a no-brainer, either weight line in the WF Sharkskin Ultimate Trout taper.
Neither of the rods you mentioned need a 1/2 weight crutch line. They are true to their line rating unlike many rods these days.

All I can hope is that you follow my advice and can't get used to your line making noise. You then offer it to me at the same price you paid! ;)
SS Ultimate Trout is probably my favorite trout line aside from my Rio Supple Ex I use on my 4wt... The SS on my 8'6" CT 3wt is amazing... effortless casting... mending is easy... shoots amazingly... i can even toss a #6 leech with a bead and 6-8 wraps on .030 lead with little effort... when i need a more delicate approach it performs just as well... absolutely wonderful line