The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bride Won a Free SA Fly Line, Help Me Choose

The GPX is really a hard line to beat, especially when its free. My mom won that same deal last year and I got her some GPX, she loves it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

I have the Mastery Series Expert Distance line on my 9' 6wt, at SweetandSalts recommendation. It works very well for long distance casting and not bad at short range as well. Coincidently, my wife and I attended the Film Tour in Portland yesterday. She won two Rio Lines of choice. She said I could have one, so I'm thinking 2 Golds for our 5 wts.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the Trout Stalker for my 4wt and the GPX for my streamer rod.

Dillon, were you at the 8 o'clock show? The Rio Gold is a great line, I have fished it on 4-7 WTs.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

We were at the 4pm show and had a fun time. I have the Mastery Series Tout on my Scott 4 wt. It's okay but probably wouldn't buy it again. I didn't like the gold on it that much either. I'm replacing the gold on my 5wt. xp. It really performs well on a fast rod.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

See the review of SA Textured Trout Stalker above in General Reviews for your #4 & for the #5, from SA, I would select the Mastery Expert Distance, a superior taper to GPX.
cletus likes this.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If it were me lucky enough to have won it would be a no-brainer, either weight line in the WF Sharkskin Ultimate Trout taper.
Neither of the rods you mentioned need a 1/2 weight crutch line. They are true to their line rating unlike many rods these days.

All I can hope is that you follow my advice and can't get used to your line making noise. You then offer it to me at the same price you paid!
cletus and itchmesir like this.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

Sweets dealt, great review!

Jackster, you'll be the first person I contact if I contemplate tossing the line away!

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Dang auto-correct, I meant: sweetandsalt, great review
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Jackster, Except for the longer front taper, aren't the 1st Sharkskin Ultimate Trout and 2nd Textured Trout Stalker quite similar tapers? Sort of compounded sophisticated riffs on our long loved Expert Distance line? I think both these new lines are excellent but, maybe it is the salt in me but Sharkskin is hard on my hands and Textured seems to have most of the same virtues but is easier to handle. Also, RIO has modified the coating technology on both Gold and Grande this winter, if buying Gold, be aware of this.

These are all top choice floating presentation lines but that does not mean each is ideally suited to your personal fly rod. No mater how good the line, comparative testing still is important. As Jackster said though, the Winstons along with, I'll add, Hardy and Sage rods tend to be true to size.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

In looking at both the Textured and the Sharkskin finishes it appears to me that the Sharkskin would have less surface area touching the blank and guides and so would have less friction for longer and easier casting. I can't say for sure but it appears to me that indents like the Textured lines would catch and trap more dirt that the Sharkskin.
Having used Sharkskin almost exclusively on 4 and 5 weight rods I can say that even after a hard days fishing and stripping line with them that as long as you vary where you strip the line across your fingers you will draw no blood by the end of the day. If you always draw the line across the tender crease inside of your finger joint you are looking for trouble even with smooth lines if algae or salt is present.
Besides. The 'Skin costs more so it must be better!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:20 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
If it were me lucky enough to have won it would be a no-brainer, either weight line in the WF Sharkskin Ultimate Trout taper.
Neither of the rods you mentioned need a 1/2 weight crutch line. They are true to their line rating unlike many rods these days.

All I can hope is that you follow my advice and can't get used to your line making noise. You then offer it to me at the same price you paid!
SS Ultimate Trout is probably my favorite trout line aside from my Rio Supple Ex I use on my 4wt... The SS on my 8'6" CT 3wt is amazing... effortless casting... mending is easy... shoots amazingly... i can even toss a #6 leech with a bead and 6-8 wraps on .030 lead with little effort... when i need a more delicate approach it performs just as well... absolutely wonderful line