The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Bride Won a Free SA Fly Line, Help Me Choose (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/310476-bride-won-free-sa-fly-line-help-me-choose.html)

cletus 02-09-2013 11:04 PM

Bride Won a Free SA Fly Line, Help Me Choose

The bride bought us tickets to the 2013 Fly Fishing Film Tour at the local McMenamin's brew pub (great places by the way) tonight and ended up winning a free Scientific Anglers fly line (she doesn't fish, she just indulges my addiction). I have fished mostly Rio Gold and Wulff TT lines. Probably looking at a 4 or 5 wt WF (Trout or Trout Stalker?) or maybe a streamer or steelhead line. Suggestions? BTW, the show was great, so was the beer!

noreaster 02-10-2013 05:52 AM

Re: Bride Won a Free SA Fly Line, Help Me Choose

The Mastery Textured GPX line is what I have been using. Seems to work good. Number of other folks here fish it too.

comeonavs 02-10-2013 08:17 AM

June will be 10 years sobriety for me, I grew up in a good Irish family where it's all or nothing so I had to go with nothing.

I went to school at University of Oregon and one of my favorite memories was I would drive from Eugene to the coast and play golf the drive up the coast to yachats Oregon and spend the evening with my grandma. I would drive back to Eugene and always hit the Mcmenamins for several jars of Ruby Ale. Man I was broke in college but they had the best micro brews ever.

Anyway your original question SA line, just decide what rod it is going on. Fast or med fast, and size

I have the GPX on my Orvis Hydros 6wt and Zaxis 4wt. I put the trout stalker on all my predominat dry fly rods 3 & 4 wts.

troutnut4 02-10-2013 09:18 AM

Cletus, I agree with comeonavs, decide which rod (rods) that you want to use it on. I find my rods cast well with the RIO Gold (or SA Trout) in the weight specified by the rod manufacturer. The only exception is my 4wt. VXP. It likes a SA GXP (1/2 wt. heavier) to cast better. :fishing: The owner of my local outfitter tells me that he over-lines all of his rods. That's his opinion. Opinions will vary here due to personal preference.

trout trekker 02-10-2013 10:57 AM

Congratulations to you and your bride, Cletus.

If you saw my line locker, youd know that having my choice of any line that S.A. makes, is like offering a fat kid a cookie.
So Ill have to disqualify myself from giving you advice on this one. Because If it were me, Id probably go to their line spec pages and pick some ethereal line for a light outfit or something so far off the charts wicked, that it would put a permanent set in a nine weight.

TT

cletus 02-10-2013 11:05 AM

Sorry, realized I didn't say what rods after the OP. I would be looking for a dry fly line for a 4 wt Winston BIIT or a general purpose line for a 5 wt BIIIX. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

troutnut4 02-10-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cletus (Post 525451)
Sorry, realized I didn't say what rods after the OP. I would be looking for a dry fly line for a 4 wt Winston BIIT or a general purpose line for a 5 wt BIIIX. Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Shouldn't be a problem getting answers here. There are a number of experienced people on this forum and a number of them own the same rods.:punk:

comeonavs 02-10-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

If it is any help here is how I am set up

3wt's (TXL,ZXL,Elkhorn) for dries SA Trout Stalker
3wt Sage one Rio Gold (didnt like the way trout stalker felt on it)

4wt TXL Trout Stalker
4wt Zaxis SA GPX
4wt legend ultra SA Mastery Trout (pre trout stalker)

6wt Hydro tip flex SA GPX

I am not familiar enough with those Winstons to advise...

rayzor 02-10-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

I used SA xps #4 on the BIIt(willow colour) very good line , they stopped making it now, I then switched to TT #4which is great and delicate for dries and small nymphs , fishes Nz style well too.

I still have a SA xps which only got used 15 days max , I spooled back up too keep as a back up line.

the TT is a good match for the Biit.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

this might help about the BIIIx....

The Winston Forum - View topic - Line for a BIIIx 9' 5wt rod

:)

stuie675 02-10-2013 03:31 PM

Mastery Textured is my favorite right now. I have the trout on my Hardy and GPX on my Redington, like them both.