The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
deathwish

Default Rio Steelhead Fly Line, Yellow/Green, WF,

Anyone tried this new line yet? Looking for opinions.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Steelhead Fly Line, Yellow/Green, WF,

What are they calling the line?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

This is my current line of choice on my 8wt steelhead rod. The line has an extended back taper so it is terrific for mending, roll casting. I generally fish on the tributary streams off lake Michigan and Erie where the game is mainly deep nymphing in waters with limited back casting room. So roll casts and effective mending are key tactics one must use. This line has greatly improved my ability in both these areas as compared to a traditional WF line.

It also shoots very well, so even a mid pack caster like myself can hit distant targets. The only downside is that, I had to go to a larger fly reel (or deeper arbor) to fit the requisite backing and this line comfortably.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
deathwish

Thanks a little confused/Tossed on what to try .Sa gpx/Magnum ? rio steelhead.Hate to spend 90.00 for more then 1 line to find one I like. Tried Cortland 444 and did not like at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I haven't tried it; but, I love RIO lines so I'm going to look at this one closely.