• 1 Post By noreaster
  • 1 Post By brookfieldangler
  • 1 Post By glcaddis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM

corb90 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Line HELP!

Hello All!
Just got into fly fishing about a year ago and can't seem to stay away from it. Being from St. Louis I have recently gotten into trout fishing during the colder months of the year, considering all of the awesome trout opportunities within a two hours drive of my home, desptite the fact of being skunked on every outting so far. Anyway my current outfit is a 5wt cabela's three forks/prestige plus combo. The reel came pre spooled with line and backing and am looking to make an upgrade somewhere. Line first, even though a rod and reel looks cooler, the tip is starting to sink even if after I put dry fly floatant on it. However I dont really have any idea what type of line is best for me. I am a begginer when it comes to casting, I can get a decent amout of line out, accuracy is ok (I can probably hit within 6 feet of my target). But seeing as how I use this outfit for trout, bass, and pan fish, I dont know what would be the best. I know some will say buy an 8wt and a 3wt yada yada, but the truth is I've never caught anything here in the midwest that my 5wt wasnt enough for, so when I upgrade both, I'll probably just get an Echo Carbon Rod with a Lamson Konic reel, both in a 5wt. But the main question here is what type of line would be the best for me? A fisherman of all types of species, and none usually over 3lbs.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:06 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Fly Line HELP!

Seems the most popular lines here are Sharkskin, Rio Gold, and GPX textured Mastery Series.
hope it helps
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds to me like you are in need of a good all around line....

Scientific Anglers Mastery Series GPX WF5F should be right up your alley.

I am sure you will a dozen different answers and they most likely will all be correct. The lesson to take from this is that there isn't really a "best" line - it's all about what line you can afford and you like which is something that only time and experience will teach you.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Budget? That will help guide answers. I'm guessing you're going for a weight forward floating 5wt line - WF5F. I've had good luck with hardy marksman lines sold on ebay. Also flyshop closeouts often have good prices once you have an idea of what you want it is worth a look.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what the others have said.
Just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum!

Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the action of the Three Forks rods but a quick search says moderate action.

GPX Textured is wonderful line, but it is heavier than a "true weight" line. Rio Grande is the same way. I'm not sure that I'd recommend either of these assuming it is a fast action rod. I'd recommend Rio Gold if you want to go the Rio Route, as Gold is a line that in my experience seems to be truer to the line weight. Since that's a preferred line of choice for me, I can't offer similar recommendations by other brands.

Keep in mind this is a general guideline and not carved in stone. Hopefully someone with this rod can provide some input for you based on first hand experience. Fly line isn't cheap.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I have the 6 wt. Three Forks 9 ft. rod. If the 5 wt. is comparable, it's probably a med. fast to fast action rod. I use line and a half line on my 6 wt. (SA textured Mastery series or Rio Grand) as I found that it loads the rod more fully for me.

Of course, how you're using the rod makes a difference. I use my 6 wt. for tossing relatively large flies long distances. If you are using the rod to cast small stuff short distances, then you may not need line and a half.

Also, I agree that you probably don't need to have an 8 wt., unless you're casting some really big, wind resistant flies. I have some flies I couldn't cast effectively until I got my 8 wt. Mice, for instance, are much easier to cast with an 8 wt.

Peace.

P.S. bear in mind that all fly line tips will eventually start to sink given enough time in the water. However, from personally experience dry fly floatant is not terribly effective on your line as it washes off too quickly. Try mucillin (sp), or some other waxy compound instead. I use chapstick alot since i always seem to havee a couple tubes with me when I go fishing.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-02-2013, 01:01 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Nail knot a section of stiff material to the end of the fly line and then seal the end with super glue or head cement. That will keep water from wicking up into the core of the line. But the use of floatant on a CLEAN line is the best advice. I stress clean because the line does accumulate a lot of gunk even from seemingly clean water.

My personal preference are double taper lines because they roll cast better and are reversible. Also they are easier to mend. And, the next time you go to Bennett or Montauk, or elsewhere try a fly that has a lot of white in it. For some reason those hatchery flsh seem to like white.
fly_guy12955 likes this.