The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM

jtliving is on a distinguished road
Default hand tied leaders

Ok, I've got a box full of Maxima Ultragreen 27 yard spools with the idea of tying my own leaders for small stream trout fishing. I've seen the rule of "never more than .002-inch difference in diameter between connecting leader sections." I'm using barrel(blood) knots. So the Maxima 25 lb. is .020 inch diameter and the next size 20 lb. is .017 inch diameter. No big deal or a fail waiting to happen? Is there even a product out there with an in between size?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hand tied leaders

I do that all the time and I haven't noticed that it matters.
The Maxima is fairly stiff and is unlikely to hing due to that slight of a difference
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Since there isn't anything between 20# and 25# there isn't much choice is there? In material that heavy you don't have to worry about that blood knot failing. You are going to knots in much lighter stuff at the end ... if something fails it won't be the 25 to 20lbs connection.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks Rip,
I was reading that it affects the knot strength, but I imagine it is the same minimal difference. I see now also that with a 3 weight line I might not even necessarily start any bigger than a .017 butt section, depending on the length of the total leader. Lots of variables!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
if something fails it won't be the 25 to 20lbs connection.
A knotted leader is not about to part anywhere above the tippet connection.
What you're trying to avoid by making only a 2/100" step down is any hinging between sections
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Thanks guys,

That puts things in perspective.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I do that all the time and I haven't noticed that it matters.
I do it all the time as well. I have also never noticed a difference. I can only add to that in that I have had a lot of my leaders tested and have not had knot failures.

I generally use ANDE Tournament line to build leaders. I go 10lb differences in knots all the time and have not seen a problem. The difference between 20 and 30 for example is way more than .002". In fact I would flat out disregard that. Seriously, to build the 15' leaders I use for two hand rods following that rule would be about what? 40 pieces of line? Even if you could find the right lines to fill that in which I doubt.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

i just made my own tapered leader for the very first time yesterday!

i was super impressed with myself and my wife turns to me and says, "your just tying two pieces of line together right? i don't see why thats too hard"

what a buzz kill...

i did very gradual steps down based upon the materials i had, went like this

2 foot of 20# mono
2 foot of 14# mono
2 foot of 8# flouro
2 feet of 4# flouro

does this seem kosher?

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM

You'd be better off with a heavier butt
I like to do about 60% butt, 20% mid, 20% tip for a better "transfer of power" from butt to tip.

With the material that you used I would have gone
5'-20#
1' -14#
1' - 8#
18"- 4#
Yeah I know that doesn't quite match the formula, but it's close enough.

You can also step down half as much at a time. That's what Lefty recommends.
4'-20#
2'-14#
1'-8#
18"- 4#
You always want at least 1 1/2' to 2' of tippet
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

thanks for that, ill give that a whirl

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing