The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Line Color

Did you look through the other threads? There are a lot of different ideas on this and it seems you can pretty much never change anyones mind on this. Once they have made up their mind there is no convincing them no matter how much logic and evidence you show them. That's why I stayed out of this one and just referred you to the previous threads.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
. Once they have made up their mind there is no convincing them no matter how much logic and evidence you show them. That's why I stayed out of this one and just referred you to the previous threads.
That's exactly the way I see it too, Dan.
Published research on the subject means nothing to some people when they have their minds made up
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I did read the older thread on this and got the Same impression. I have learned from political and religious discussions that once people make up their mind that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to change regardless of the truth or facts.

I have not made and decision either way but will weigh the evidence and in the mean time go with my gut on this. Thanks again to all and sorry to open that can of worms if you will.

Craig
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

It probably sounds bad, but I like my color lines to look good on my reel hahaha I just buy the line I want to try, never really put the color into mind, can not tell you if I would catch more on with a more neutral color or not. Currently I am using SA matery textured and it comes in a what I call a mossy green since I cant think of the name. It works, I throw the rod a direction it follows, it floats good, lays out nicely and memory seems to be very low even when cold. So I am happy. You just have to find a line you like and go with it.

It bugs me so many people want answers, it takes out all of the fun learning if people are just laying stuff out for you. I have no problem helping people with improving their casting, but for what type of rod and blah blah blah they should use, trial and error works best.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The last two lines I bought are bright orange. You can see literally quite well how worried I am about it.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Yeah I also have a yellow and what I call neon green, but the mastery textured in trout does not come in any other color. I usually like bright colors.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

No Message
Old 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Think of it like the older folks who always drove Buicks. Younguns actually made fun of them for it but never stopped to wonder why that is. Since Buick not long ago was ranked right up there in quality with cars costing twice as much and that always got top honors (true story!) Maybe those older folks were on to something. I mean, if you've had 70-80 years of success using a certain thing should you change just to change?
I admit I've settled on the line colors I prefer. Just like the fly you have faith in catches more fish than the others, when the color of the line leaves no doubt that it works best for you than use it. No need to brag or boast... it's what you like, that's all.
Using bright lines when I want them to be seen makes sense to me and dull lines when I want them stealthy also makes sense to me and when you get down to it that is all that matters really (until you start waving those bright lines around the spooky fish I'm working!)

Last edited by Jackster; 03-06-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Fish with what you feel most confident with and when you fish with confidence you fish better. If I'm worried that fish will spook at my peach colored fly line then 15' of mono goes on the end of it. Chances are if the fish are that spooky just your presence has most likely put them off.
bigjim5589 and Guest1 like this.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

IMO, we all too often give the fish, regardless of species, too much credit. I read through those other linked posts & there's quite a bit of discussion there. Some interesting ideas too.

I agree with using what color you have the most confidence in using. Confidence is important. I once read something Lefty Kreh wrote concerning line color & basically he said that such things as line slapping the water was a greater concern than the line color. I tend to agree.

Anytime our success is limited, there are many things that could be the reason. IMO, line color is the least of a concern, but may provide doubts. Personally, I don't worry about line colors. I have different lines in various colors, tan, sand, light & dark greens, brown, yellow & bright orange & as long as I can see the line, that's my only concern.

These types of questions come up with bass & other anglers using spinning or baitcasting equipment. Many have concerns about whether or not the fish can see the lines & may react negatively to it. I use hi vis yellow braided lines for fishing with jigs, tying direct to the lure & catch plenty of fish. Does it limit the number of fish that might bite, I don't know, but I'm not complaining. I've known others to say water clarity versus line color makes a difference, but that has yet been proven to me. Again, there are far too many other variables that may limit our success, any of which may be a real concern, to say that line color is a definitive problem.

IMO, it all goes back to using what you feel the most confident in & comfortable using.
wt bash likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!