The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default suggest new line for TFO 8' 4wt

I'm currently using Cortland 444 on my TFO Pro 8' 4wt. I'm not getting the performance I want. I'm just not feeling it load and it's very quick. Can anyone suggest a line that I can replace that with this year that would suit this rod better?

I was looking at the S.A. Mastery Headstart. Anyone have any opinions on that?
Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: suggest new line for TFO 8' 4wt

I used the exact rod some years back for a couple of summers. I used a SA Mastery GPX WF #4 that performed very nicely. Never needed any other lines.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Pegboy nailed it. Many TFO's (surely all the BVK's we've tried) prefer a 1/2 size heavy line. SA GPX, RIO Grande, etc. I don't prefer a half size heavy line, these RODS do. Ironically, the heavy lines on the market also tend to be aggressive tapers. It would make me very happy if popular presentation oriented lines...RIO Gold, SA Textured Trout or Mastery Expert Distance where available in half size increments; 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5..., etc. then we could fine-tune a rod and still have appropriate tapers for reaching, mending and all those important line manipulation things. One of the reasons I replaced my TFO.BVK#6 with an ECHO3#6 is that I didn't enjoy fishing the RIO Grande line (because of its short rear taper) that the BVK cast best with. The ECHO3 fishes with a straight #6, an Airflo Ridge Tactical which has proven to be a fine line.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 03-20-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

SA GPX or Rio Gold/Grande should load it up.