The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM
deathwish

Default Salmon fishing line question

In spring time I see we using sinking line due to high water levels here for black Salmon.Then there is a sinking tip line and floating line.When would you use sinking tip versus floating line? Or would you just move from sinking to floating line?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Salmon fishing line question

Have you ever tried to cast a full sinking line, particularly on a windy, rainy spring day? Enter the sinking tip line. They are available in a wide variety of sink rates, and even tip lengths. Folks that troll for kelts often use full sinkers.
My thought for the day.
Gary
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 AM
deathwish

Fly line question: In spring when fishing high fast waters I see most using sinking line for black salmon.Is the sinking tip for wet flys and floating line for floating flys or is it based on water levels?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwish View Post
In spring time I see we using sinking line due to high water levels here for black Salmon. Then there is a sinking tip line and floating line.
Plenty of options could be had. Don't forget that there are different lengths and sink rates in sink tip lines. There are also multi tip lines and sinking leaders.

Quote:
When would you use sinking tip versus floating line? Or would you just move from sinking to floating line?
Here is the reality. You need to get the fly to where the fish are holding. If you are using a floating line without any success, change lines, tips, or leaders.

Trial and error adds to the learning curve. After you experiment, you will be able to come up with your own line strategy.

Quote:
Fly line question: In spring when fishing high fast waters I see most using sinking line for black salmon. Is the sinking tip for wet flys and floating line for floating flys or is it based on water levels?
Think about the depth that you are trying to obtain. Sink tip lines are used to get subsurface flies to proper depth based off water level and rate of flow. A floating line can be used to fish any type of fly depending on proper depth based off of water level and rate of flow.

Dennis
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

There is VERY little floating (dry) fly fishing for atlantic salmon in the spring...although I did pull it off last May. Folks are using sink tips to get their streamers down to where the fish are. The rivers are MUCH deeper (usually) in the spring...that's why everyone is fishing from boats. Wading is impossible, for the most part. There are always exceptions to most every rule.
Gary
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Hey Deathwish,
I think your best bet would be to talk to the guys at Fredericton Outfitters in Marysville. They can let you know anything you would need to for the spring runs. I've only ever used a floating line on the Miramichi.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

If you don't wish to invest in a full line with a sink tip there are tips you can attach to your floating line with a loop to loop connection. An example:

3) RIO SINK TIPS & FLY LINE WALLET (salmon, steelhead, big game, spey, Ti11) | eBay