The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Rio Smallmouth vs Orvis Smallmouth line

The biggest issue with the Rio Smallmouth line is they tried to make a line that did a whole lot of things well.

What they ended up with was a line that does indeed do a lot of things OK, but doesn't really do any one thing "great". That's exactly what the very guys who were instrumental in the design of the line say about it.

It's a really good line out to about 60' with moderate sized bugs, it mends well for hopping flies under an indicator and it casts almost by itself out to about 40' lending itself to anglers who don't have a lot of experience casting.

If you live on a Smallmouth river where you don't require long casts and the use of huge flies, it's a great line. I still personally like the SA Textured Mag better, but that's my opinion, your mileage may vary...

The Orvis Bass Taper is simply the SA Mastery Bass Bug Taper that Orvis then applies their own lubricants to and welded loops. Good line, but not in the same class as the Textured Mag Taper. Orvis does make the best welded loops in the business nowadays...

Last edited by kwb; 03-26-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM

leftys brother is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the insight bmbailes. Any problem with tip sinking?

45srbest I look forward to hearing your analysis.

kwb thats along the same line as what the guy in the shop was saying.
Seems like I might want to look for different options. I am pretty much a hack when it comes to casting but there are lots of times I need to be way past 50' I tried treading water with left hand and casting with the right last year and it did not work so well.
J
Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM

How do the SA mag taper and the Rio Outbound Short compare?
Thank You,
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM

lil_man72 is on a distinguished road

i just tried the rio smallmouth in a 6wt. and hated it. it's way to stiff for me, i'm used to mainly cortland line and it doesn't stay coiled like the rio sm.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback lm72.
what kind of temperatures have you used it in?
J
Old 04-01-2013, 07:35 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftys brother View Post
How do the SA mag taper and the Rio Outbound Short compare?
Thank You,
Rio Outbound is clunky and the running line is of very poor quality in my opinion...

The Mag Taper allows you to do one quick shot and let her fly or the ability to carry more line outside the rod tip and therefore be a little more accurate at distance. You cannot carry a lot of line outside the rod tip with the Outbound line as it is a very short head.

In my opinion, there is no comparison...

In normal smallmouth fishing weather the Rio Smallmouth taper fly line is not coily, but very well could be in colder temps this time of year, I only used it in the heat of the Summer...

The SA Titan Taper and the Rio Outbound would be somewhat similar lines, they are more of a fire and forget type of line designed to shoot a lot of running line, however the Titan Taper is much less clunky than the Outbound and the running line is a LOT better in my opinion.

The SA Mag Taper will do "fire and forget" casting well, but also allows you the option of carrying more line outside the tip, this translates to more accurate distant casting and allows for more line control...

Last edited by kwb; 04-01-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Rio Outbound is clunky and the running line is of very poor quality in my opinion...
I have heard a few things in the negative catagory when it comes to Rio lines. Is this a new problem, just a certain number of lines....

I have one that is now about 12 years or so old, and has seen more than it's fair share of abuse. I love it, but I can tell it's had about all the abuse it can handle and may need replacing soon. I was thinking about trying to get a close duplicate Rio, but if they are developing a quality problem, I don't think I want to head down that road.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have heard a few things in the negative catagory when it comes to Rio lines. Is this a new problem, just a certain number of lines....

I have one that is now about 12 years or so old, and has seen more than it's fair share of abuse. I love it, but I can tell it's had about all the abuse it can handle and may need replacing soon. I was thinking about trying to get a close duplicate Rio, but if they are developing a quality problem, I don't think I want to head down that road.
This was at one time a HUGE complaint regarding Rio's Outbound lines especially, I read somewhere that they changed the running line to resolve the issues many were having, but having owned an Outbound with the so called "upgrade", I still do not feel it to be as good as other lines I have used.

I live on a big river so it's not uncommon to have an entire fly line laying on the deck of the boat at my feet and out of all the lines I have ever used, the Outbound gave me the most headaches by far, I never have issues with the running line tangling on my SA Mag Taper, Titan Taper or the SA Mastery non textured Bass Bug Taper.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 PM

Interesting. Ran into a guy at Cabelas today, he works for 3M. I did not know that SA makes some of the Cabelas and from previous post in this thread Orvis lines. kwb you have convinced me. I will try out the SA Mastery Textured Magnum although I am curious about the GPX in this line also.
Thanks for all the insight.