The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   E-Bay fly lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/314759-e-bay-fly-lines.html)

floorabove 03-26-2013 08:47 AM

E-Bay fly lines

I own all good quality lines already, but poking around ebay it seems there are many no name lines really cheap.

Anybody ever try these. ?

What about old NIB lines? There seems to be a lot of those too.

Can flyline go bad sitting in a box?

fredaevans 03-26-2013 09:49 AM

Re: E-Bay fly lines

In many cases these are either old stock or 'blems.' By old stock, line maker has come out with his new/latest/greatest ... and want to get rid of 'old stuff.' As far as going 'bad in the box,' would take years save for its been sitting in a sunny window in the shop. That is not a good thing.

mikel 03-26-2013 09:51 AM

It'll be interesting to see answers about fly lines going bad in their boxes. I have no idea...

...but I have purchased many discontinued lines @Ebay and other sources (mostly sage lines, made by Rio for them) and never been disappointed. Also have a couple of discontinued Orvis lines that have performed great...I don't pay full retail for much any more...45 bucks is about my limit for lines.

Rip Tide 03-26-2013 10:23 AM

I got a bad "new" line once but it was probably very old. The plasticizers just leaked out and the line went from being very greasy to so dry that it wouldn't go through guides.

The Northern Sport Line Company of Ontario makes primarily private label, custom fly lines. I don't know if that would be the source of any e-bay lines but I wouldn't doubt it.
The first one that I remember buying was back around 1980. Still have it.
I have 7-8 others too.
http://www.flyline.net/

mi_trouter 03-26-2013 05:05 PM

Have bought & fished several lines on ebay. A distressed box, last year's model, none of that bothers me. Angler's Roost lines are very servicable & inexpensive. Own one in 2 & 5 wt. (He says English made).

Guest1 03-26-2013 06:20 PM

If you look all of the time you can get lucky once in a while and find a badly listed line. I got an SA Pike taper for $15 and free shipping. It's a $60 or $70 dollar line. Yeah me! :D

It might take a few days of watching, but since Spring seems to have given here a miss this year, I had the time. :rolleyes:

moucheur2003 03-26-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mi_trouter (Post 541032)
Have bought & fished several lines on ebay. A distressed box, last year's model, none of that bothers me. Angler's Roost lines are very servicable & inexpensive. Own one in 2 & 5 wt. (He says English made).

I second that, although with a caveat that the Angler's Roost line I bought didn't last very long. Perhaps he has found a new supplier.

dhaynes 03-27-2013 05:33 AM

I've bought a number of lines from these guys Discount Fly Fishing Tackle out of Denver, Co. I've been well pleased with the lines...

Results for Fly Lines

Rip Tide 03-27-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaynes (Post 541185)
I've bought a number of lines from these guys Discount Fly Fishing Tackle out of Denver, Co. I've been well pleased with the lines...

Results for Fly Lines

Yup, those are Northern Sport lines.

charged 04-10-2013 08:38 PM

I've purchased several discounted name brand lines, without regret! (Actually Quite Pleased). The Unknown names, I've not yet ventured into that territory.

The near buy Cabelas always has a nice selection of lines in the bargain bin, This so far has been my gold mine.