The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM

rbqchicken is on a distinguished road
Default How can you verify line type?

This is my first post and, I will admit: I obsess a bit over new purchases.

I just got a rod/reel/line/backing outfit and after admiring it for awhile I thought I'd take all the fly line off to see how long it was. I calculated 89 feet, and so I'm thinking it's probably 90 feet and my measuring was off a bit. No problem.

Then, I held one end of the line up next to the other end of the line and compared the thicknesses. I used a 10 power magnifying glass to compare these ends, and both ends appear to be the same thickness.

This is supposed to be a weight forward (7 wt.) line, and I assumed the forward end of the line would be at least a little thicker than the back (running) end of the line.

Should it?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can you verify line type?

Did you just measure the tip? What happens if you keep measuring towards the middle?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

The diameter of the ends is meaningless. What does the fly end do after the end? How long is it that diameter? How long is the fat portion? How long is it before it's back to the diameter of the end? They should have told you something about the line when you bought it. What did that say? Did they tell you who makes it? Actually we can tell a lot by the answer of just the last two. Look for that information, and if you did not get it with it, tell us what set you got and who made it.

Here is something I got from a site explaining some of this for you.

Click the image to open in full size.
1. Tip: a short 6-12 inch level section where you attach your leader. This section's role is to protect the line's taper. Since many anglers cut off a small part of fly line when they change leaders, the level tip allows these changes without shortening the front taper and altering the way the line casts.

2. Front Taper: this is the section of the line that determines how delicately or powerfully the fly is delivered. Typically, 4-8 feet long, it decreases in diameter from the Belly section to the Tip. This graduation of the line's mass (weight) determines its ability to transfer you casting energy.

3. Belly: because it is the widest diameter and longest length, this section is where most of the weight of a line is located and, consequently, where your casting energy is carried.

4. Rear Taper: decreasing in diameter from the thicker belly section to the much smaller diameter running line section, the rear taper creates the transition so important to casting smoothness.

5. Head: this term is used to describe the combination of front taper, belly and rear taper

6. Running Line: this section exists primarily to make distance casting easier.
Since a Double Taper (DT) line is essentially a long belly with tapers at both ends, there is no running line by definition. This large diameter belly line does not shoot through the rod guides easily. A smaller diameter, lighter weight line creates less friction. The running line portion of Weight Forward (WF) and Shooting Taper (ST) configuration fills this role. The Head is extended through the tip of the rod. The rod is loaded with the weight of the Head. Further extension of the fly line is accomplished by stripping line from the reel and then 'shooting' it through the guides.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

You’re comparing the front and rear tips of the line, but the belly you're looking for, is further back.

Here’s a simplified way to determine basic fly line design. Double the line back over on itself. Hold the two tag ends together and measure back ( just spitball it ) 20 feet.

If it’s a Weight Forward, one end will still be very thin ( that’s the running section. ) indicating the rear of the line, the other will be fat ( that’s the belly ) indicating the front of the line.

If they both gain in diameter at the same point and stay thick all the way to the mid way point, then it’s likely a Double Taper.

The diagram below shows a basic Weight Forward ( above ) and Double Taper ( below ).

Click the image to open in full size.

If there is no change for the entire length of the line, then it's a level line.
There are many more specialized tapers, that go way beyond this simple taper check.

If the reel came preloaded with line and backing. Just for giggles, take the spool off of the reel. Is there a little paper sticker attached to the back of the spool? if so, might it say WF-7-F ? That would be a stroke of luck...

Best, TT
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
If the reel came preloaded with line and backing. Just for giggles, take the spool off of the reel. Is there a little paper sticker attached to the back of the spool? if so, might it say WF-7-F ? That would be a stroke of luck...

Best, TT
Yup, that's a good idea.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbqchicken View Post
This is my first post and, I will admit: I obsess a bit over new purchases.

I just got a rod/reel/line/backing outfit and after admiring it for awhile I thought I'd take all the fly line off to see how long it was. I calculated 89 feet, and so I'm thinking it's probably 90 feet and my measuring was off a bit. No problem.

Then, I held one end of the line up next to the other end of the line and compared the thicknesses. I used a 10 power magnifying glass to compare these ends, and both ends appear to be the same thickness.

This is supposed to be a weight forward (7 wt.) line, and I assumed the forward end of the line would be at least a little thicker than the back (running) end of the line.

Should it?

Thanks.
First all single hander lines will 'neck down' from the main head portion (think transfer of energy-big to small). If this is a WF line (probably) it will (again) neck down behind the first 30 feet (which is all that's weighed in grains) for the line designation. Bit of slop between lines (a 5 to a 6, and some manufacturers fudge and build a 5.5/6.5, etc).

With a bit of exception, 1hander lines will all be 90 feet.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 AM

rbqchicken is on a distinguished road

That solved my problem. I was just looking at the very end of the (front end) of the line. It gets thicker a little ways back from the end. Thanks, folks.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM

troutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of lighttroutnut4 is a glorious beacon of light

Why wouldn't the industry develop a standard line designation or symbol that can be imprinted on the line and cross referenced with a chart to determine line type, weight, and manufacturer? Maybe this is being done but not on any of the lines that I have.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about

Several makers have done this periodically in the past, but frankly I've not seen one that has kept doing it. My guess is that it just isn't a much of a marketing pop from this extra effort. Makers of Spey heads are more likely to label things and Wulff's ambush lines are now lettered on the line. This becomes important when one changes heads and lines frequently. Most SH fishing is done with one or two lines and it is easy to remember which is which.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

I have seen micro printing right on the fly lines before, indicating the brand, # and taper. Some may still.