The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM

sreckner is on a distinguished road
Default Line Suggestions for an Orvis Clearwater 9' 5wt mid-flex

My wife wants to fly fish with me, but has never cast. A co-worker loaned her a Clearwater Classic and a reel without line.

What would you suggest for that rod given its action and that she is a complete neophyte? I want to encourage her and try to make sure that she has a positive experience.

Thanks!

Last edited by sreckner; 04-05-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line Suggestions for a Clearwater 9' 5wt mid-flex

I'm assuming that the rod is an Orvis. For her purpose since she is just borrowing, spool the reel up with a Scientific Anglers Mastery Head Start line. It is slightly head heavy (1/2 line weight overlined) which will help your wife feel the rod load up. It also has the same coating as the higher end Mastery lines, so it stays slick. Over the past couple of years, SA put on a welded loop to help make leader changes easier - a bonus for novices.

Dennis
Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Orvis clearwater line is also supposed to be 1/2 size heavier. That's what I put on my wife's rod for her to learn. Not sure if it makes much difference but the price isn't bad.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

With the Mid-Flex, I recommend the Rio Gold. Very easy to use and very forgiving as well for beginners. The dual tone would help her to know when to cast the line out.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I have a clearwater and use the Orvis Hydros line. It is 1/2 heavy and has the finish that just slides through the guides like it was a bobsledder.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

first off, welcome to the forum!
in regards to you to your line question, i have an older clearwater II midflex
that i still use the clearwater line that came with it.
to me it matches well with the action of the rod.
it's also the rod/line i taught my wife to cast with awhile back

casey

ARFE
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM

sreckner is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Steve